Cookie and Privacy Settings

This website uses cookies to enable essential functions like the user login and sessions. We also use cookies and third-party tools to improve your surfing experience on preplounge.com. You can choose to activate only essential cookies or all cookies. You can always change your preference in the cookie and privacy settings. This link can also be found in the footer of the site. If you need more information, please visit our privacy policy.

Data processing in the USA: By clicking on "I accept", you also consent, in accordance with article 49 paragraph 1 sentence 1 lit. GDPR, to your data being processed in the USA (by Google LLC, Facebook Inc., LinkedIn Inc., Stripe, Paypal).

Manage settings individually I accept
expert
Expert with best answer

Adi

100% Recommendation Rate

99 Meetings

9,309 Q&A Upvotes

USD 169 / Coaching

5

is it okay to accept an offer but to cancel it later on?

Guys, I have an offer from Simon Kucher 2 weeks back and I have a pending final interview result from Kearney (I just had the interview today). I have been trying to work with HR from Kearney to expedite the process however it seems that they just took longer than I expected (they kept delaying the interview schedules) and now it seems that the partner from Simon Kucher is flustered as I am unable to make the decision on the offer, and I told him that I would reply by today on my decision.

So should I proactively tell him by accepting the offer and cancelling it later if Kearney's offer turns out to be better, or I just ignore the deadline I set myself, and wait for Kearney to get back to me? Of course if he nudges I will reply right away and accept the offer, but I am worried that the partner will cancel the offer as I am not sticking to the deadline that I actually set myself.

Update: Kearney informed me that they will get back to me tomorrow.

Guys, I have an offer from Simon Kucher 2 weeks back and I have a pending final interview result from Kearney (I just had the interview today). I have been trying to work with HR from Kearney to expedite the process however it seems that they just took longer than I expected (they kept delaying the interview schedules) and now it seems that the partner from Simon Kucher is flustered as I am unable to make the decision on the offer, and I told him that I would reply by today on my decision.

So should I proactively tell him by accepting the offer and cancelling it later if Kearney's offer turns out to be better, or I just ignore the deadline I set myself, and wait for Kearney to get back to me? Of course if he nudges I will reply right away and accept the offer, but I am worried that the partner will cancel the offer as I am not sticking to the deadline that I actually set myself.

Update: Kearney informed me that they will get back to me tomorrow.

(edited)

5 answers

  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best Answer
Book a coaching with Adi

100% Recommendation Rate

99 Meetings

9,309 Q&A Upvotes

USD 169 / Coaching

Hey,

Between SK and ATK which one is a better fit- skills fit, career aspirations, values, risk, benefits & compensation etc? 

If you are someone who takes risks and if ATK is a better fit, then wait. If not accept SK and apologise later. Do it very nicely & dont leave with any mis-understandings as you never know how paths cross in future.

All the best choosing. You are not alone and this happens quite a lot.

Hey,

Between SK and ATK which one is a better fit- skills fit, career aspirations, values, risk, benefits & compensation etc? 

If you are someone who takes risks and if ATK is a better fit, then wait. If not accept SK and apologise later. Do it very nicely & dont leave with any mis-understandings as you never know how paths cross in future.

All the best choosing. You are not alone and this happens quite a lot.

Book a coaching with Florian

100% Recommendation Rate

285 Meetings

7,154 Q&A Upvotes

USD 219 / Coaching

Hey there,

This is a very common issue with consulting applications, so you are definitely not alone here.

There is no valid reason not to go for a better offer that may arise at a later stage. After all, you need to look after yourself and not the interests of a firm, which anyway benefits a lot from information asymmetry and power distance in the recruiting process.

If this issue should arise and you want to turn down an offer you have already accepted:

  • Inform the company as soon as possible
  • Stay polite and professional
  • Thank them for their guidance and support

Make an effort to leave on good terms.

Cheers,

Florian

Hey there,

This is a very common issue with consulting applications, so you are definitely not alone here.

There is no valid reason not to go for a better offer that may arise at a later stage. After all, you need to look after yourself and not the interests of a firm, which anyway benefits a lot from information asymmetry and power distance in the recruiting process.

If this issue should arise and you want to turn down an offer you have already accepted:

  • Inform the company as soon as possible
  • Stay polite and professional
  • Thank them for their guidance and support

Make an effort to leave on good terms.

Cheers,

Florian

Given that you have until the end of today to respond, and that you are unlikley to hear back from Kearney for several days, I would advise accepting SK now and then withdraw if you get an offer from Kearney.

It is not ideal, but you don't want to risk not accepting SK in time and failing to recieve an offer from Kearney

Given that you have until the end of today to respond, and that you are unlikley to hear back from Kearney for several days, I would advise accepting SK now and then withdraw if you get an offer from Kearney.

It is not ideal, but you don't want to risk not accepting SK in time and failing to recieve an offer from Kearney

Book a coaching with Francesco

100% Recommendation Rate

3,546 Meetings

18,845 Q&A Upvotes

USD 479 / Coaching

Hi there,

Not an ideal situation, but you will have to accept the SK offer, unless you hear back earlier from Kearney before the SK deadline you proposed. If you committed to a deadline, you have to stick to what you said.

If you get the offer from Kearny, you will have then to call them and politely explain you cannot join anymore. Again, not ideal, but I don't think there is any other option in your particular situation.

Hope this helps,

Francesco

Hi there,

Not an ideal situation, but you will have to accept the SK offer, unless you hear back earlier from Kearney before the SK deadline you proposed. If you committed to a deadline, you have to stick to what you said.

If you get the offer from Kearny, you will have then to call them and politely explain you cannot join anymore. Again, not ideal, but I don't think there is any other option in your particular situation.

Hope this helps,

Francesco

Book a coaching with Antonello

98% Recommendation Rate

177 Meetings

6,968 Q&A Upvotes

USD 219 / Coaching

Hi, I confirm it is the standard and it happens to most of the best candidates. Unfortunately, firms let you only 7-10 days to take a decision and I would strongly recommend accepting the contract while waiting for the next results. I know it is not the best thing but  I do not see any other smart options

Best,
Antonello

Hi, I confirm it is the standard and it happens to most of the best candidates. Unfortunately, firms let you only 7-10 days to take a decision and I would strongly recommend accepting the contract while waiting for the next results. I know it is not the best thing but  I do not see any other smart options

Best,
Antonello

(edited)

Related case(s)

MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education

Solved 19.3k times
MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvantaged areas. The client is considering starting operations for its services in the Chicago area. They hired us to understand if that makes sense. Due to the nonprofit regulation, SmartBridge should operate on its own in the market, without any partnership. How would you help our client?
4.6 5 649
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvant ... Open whole case

Bain 1st Round Case – BlissOttica

Solved 3.2k times
Bain 1st Round Case – BlissOttica Our client is a BlissOttica, an Eyewear Manufacturer that is looking to reach a 10% increase in profits. How would you help our client?
4.3 5 134
| Rating: (4.3 / 5.0)

Our client is a BlissOttica, an Eyewear Manufacturer that is looking to reach a 10% increase in profits. How would you help our client? Open whole case