In the last years, I have done 100+ cases with friends and peers at university, helping them secure their dream job in a top consulting firm.
My coaching approach is holistic but straightforward, and it comprehends:
1. Case overview - Review of (i) all the possible different cases (e.g., market sizing, strategic case interviewee-lead, strategic case interviewer-lead, etc.) and (ii) the different sections of a case, with key guidelines to follow in each part
2. Framework deep-dive - Detailed guide and hints about how to structure a MECE (Mutually Exclusive Collectively Exhaustive) Framework
3. Mental maths and calculations deep-dive - Detailed guide about how to effectively approach the mental math part of the interview
4. Chart analysis deep-dive - Step-by-step guide to performing an effective chart analysis
5. Conclusion and wrap-up deep-dive - Hints to craft a concise and thoughtful conclusion
6. Behavioral interview (optional) - Review of the most common behavioral questions, providing detailed feedback about the candidate’s answers
Usually, if the candidate has no knowledge about consulting interviews, in the first meeting I give an overview of all the different parts providing insightful guidelines. After that, I test the candidate’s performance across all the interview parts through different cases, providing detailed feedback about what he/she did well and the main areas of improvement.