Please share any advice regarding McKinsey PST. Also, what would be your best advice about getting good at fast math?
How do I best prepare for the McKinsey PST?
Welcome to PrepLounge and thanks for asking your question in our Consulting Q&A!
Have you already checked out the following PrepLounge resources?
- Battle against McKinsey’s PST - 10 Essential Tips to Get Outstanding Results
- Fast Math: How to Master Mental Math
- Mental Math Tool
Hope this helps!
Best of luck for your test preparation,
PrepLounge Community Management
The key question is - what is your current score with the official PST?
Do one full case from the mck website in 60 min. Check your score. Target score is 22 out of 26 correct. If you do 17-18 correct you have great chances to improve it quite fast. If lower - it will take a couple of months
If your score is high:
- Buy Victor Cheng test prep program - best materials I've seen so far. Works also for express prep.
- Practice your math. Learn how to multiply double digit numbers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndkkPZYJHo). Learn the division table up to 1/11 (i.e. 5/6 = 83.3). Learn how to work with zeros (E.g.: 4000000 = 4*10ˆ6)
- Do the 2nd test and check the score
If your score is low you need fundamental prep:
- Understand where you have problems (Math, speed, critical reasoning)
- Work on them:
- PST-like tests available online, GMAT IR part with the proper time tracking - for speed and math issues
- GMAT CR and IR parts - for critical reasoning issues
- Speed reading if English is not your native language and you need to improve the speed
Interviewer-Led vs Candidate-Led cases
Case Interviews can be led by the candidate or by the interviewer: In Candidate-led cases the main challenge is the structure. In Interviewer-led cases the main challenge is to adapt quickly
Which companies are currently using written tests ?
All major firms like McKinsey, BCG and Bain use tests to assess a candidate's analytical skills. However the design of those tests can differ a lot.
Written tests such as the PSTs
Top tier consulting firms have started using PSTs to test for in-depth analytical skills needed to be successful as a consultant on a day-to-day basis.
How to Read Charts and Data in Case Interviews
We explain and give tips on how to understand and analyze graphs, charts and data presented by interviewer to candidates in case interviews.