Pymetrics Game Assessment is an online tool for conducting psychometric tests and analyzing soft skills that may be important for certain careers or positions
The test is popularly used in case interviews. It consists of a series of games and exercises designed to measure certain psychological traits and skills, such as cognitive ability, emotional intelligence, risk-taking, adaptability, assertiveness and more. The Pymetrics platform uses machine learning to analyze your responses and performance in games to create a comprehensive assessment of your skills and traits. It represents a new way for large companies, such as BCG, Bain, and Roland Berger, to evaluate and screen their applicants.
The test is game-based and contains elements to test specific skills or traits
Many large companies have incorporated a game element into their application process in recent years. This trend is expected to continue. Pymetrics game-based assessment is an unbiased, scalable way for them to reduce their candidate pool to a manageable number.
The test consists of two parts:
- Assessment Games: in this part, a series of games or exercises are presented, each lasting approximately 2-5 minutes. These games are designed to measure behaviors that are relevant to specific jobs or positions. For example, one game might aim to measure your ability to react quickly to changing circumstances, while another measures your ability to complete tasks quickly and accurately.
- Survey Questions: In this section, you will be asked a series of questions aimed at measuring your attitudes and preferences. These questions cover a variety of skills, such as your ability to work under stress, as well as your motivation and attitude toward risk.
The results of the test are then passed on to the employer or HR department to help them make a better decision about whether you are suitable for the advertised position.
The games differ in the tasks that candidates have to solve
Examples of the tasks included are:
- You are shown sequences of shapes of different sizes and colors on the screen, and you must tap the screen when certain shapes appear
- You are shown a pattern on the screen, and you have to move the available characters so that they represent the pattern in as few moves as possible
- Recognize the emotion of a cartoon character based on his facial expression and/or a short sentence from the context
- Recognize simple irregularities in patterns and tap the screen when they appear
- Remember sequences of shapes and/or numbers after they are shown on the screen in sequence
The Pymetrics Game can be taken on a smartphone or desktop and is similar to many other puzzle apps
You can solve all the games with simple buttons or by tapping the screen in time. The Pymetrics Games create the same pressure and nervousness as a number sense test because the scenarios are so new, a certain amount of math is required, and there is some time pressure. They are very intuitive, so you don't have to worry about not understanding them or finding your way around the app. As long as you have a smartphone and are familiar with downloading and opening an app, you can complete the Pymetrics game assessment.
A wide variety of personality traits are tested
The Pymetrics Game Assessments create a picture of the applicant based on 9 personality traits in 12/16 games:
- Risk Tolerance
- Decision making
Many companies only use 12 games in their assessment and therefore only test the 9 personality traits.
Pymetrics also tests your technical skills, among others
Pymetrics offers an additional 4 games to test two technical skills:
- Numerical Dexterity
- Quantitative Reasoning
There is no one-to-one mapping of the games to the individual traits tested. The results of several games are used to create the candidate profile.