Received an offer from an MBB but already signed a contract from a rival firm. What do i do?

mbb big4
Neue Antwort am 20. Sept. 2020
6 Antworten
1,8 Tsd. Aufrufe
Anonym A fragte am 4. Okt. 2018

Hi,

I'm not really sure what to do here. I really do want the MBB offer but I'm afraid of burning the bridge with the other firm and just have all of this blow up on me. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated. I only have until tomorrow to make the decision so that adds a fun twist to things.

Cheers

Übersicht der Antworten

Upvotes
  • Upvotes
  • Datum aufsteigend
  • Datum absteigend
Beste Antwort
Anonym antwortete am 20. Sept. 2020

Hi A,

I guess your situation can be relevant to some other candidates.

Here's what I think if you do not accept the MBB offer than anyone else will. You've got such an opportunity, why not use it?

As for the rival firm, you should just explain the situation, and go for it!

Best, André

War diese Antwort hilfreich?
1
Guennael
Experte
antwortete am 4. Okt. 2018
Ex-MBB, Experienced Hire; I will teach you not only the how, but also the why of case interviews

Welcome to MBB. Case closed :)

War diese Antwort hilfreich?
Anonym antwortete am 4. Okt. 2018

4th expert here agreeing - no brainer, go for the MBB firm. Talk to them in a professional manner, and they will understand. Likely won't burn the bridge. Even if it did burn the bridge, however - I would still say MBB + a burned bridge at a rival firm is better than being at the non-MBB firm.

War diese Antwort hilfreich?
0
Vlad
Experte
Content Creator
antwortete am 4. Okt. 2018
McKinsey / Accenture Alum / Got all BIG3 offers / Harvard Business School

Hi,

I agree with all the coaches here. Don't overestimate your value to this company - it has tens, even hundreds of new employees every year. So just be open about your situation with them and go for MBB

Best

War diese Antwort hilfreich?
Benjamin
Experte
antwortete am 4. Okt. 2018
ex-Manager - Natural and challenging teacher - Taylor case solving, no framework

Hi,

Congrats for MBB !

I understand your concern, but honestly this situation are more classical than you think. Don't overthink it and believe its personal, in the end your are only trying to maximie your own interest. You are not married to this firm, and a contract can be easily broken (they would do the same on their side if needed)

So I would recommand to simply be transparent here, explain your reasons and make your move to MBB. I am sure they will understand and if they don't, well maybe their philosophy can be challenged as well.

Best
Benjamin

War diese Antwort hilfreich?
Sidi
Experte
antwortete am 4. Okt. 2018
McKinsey Senior EM & BCG Consultant | Interviewer at McK & BCG for 7 years | Coached 350+ candidates secure MBB offers

My advice is to be open and honest about the situation. These things belong to the professional life, and hence you need to deal with it in a professional manner. Of course it is unfortunate that you have already signed the contract - but in other situations the firms are also e.g., delaying start dates of offerees if the need arises (e.g. during the last financial crisis). Don't overthink it - explain the reasons, and then move on to start your job at MBB.

Cheers, Sidi

War diese Antwort hilfreich?