Especially at later stage interviews.
What are some common mistakes you've seen candidates make in case studies?
The most common and critical mistakes are:
1) Not clarifying / asking the details of the business model in the beginning
2) Not clarifying / quantifying objectives in the beginning
3) Using common frameworks and not adapting them to the case specifics
4) Not digging deep into the root causes of a problem and switching to other parts of your framework
5) Getting some data and not applying it (i.e. you should compare with previous periods / benchmarks / breakdown further into segments)
6) Slow math / math with mistakes / not stating clearly what you are trying to calculate and why
7) Providing a strong conclusion having limited data
8) !!! spending a lot of time on cases, having no fit interview practice
thank you for asking your question!
We're happy to see that you are tapping the full potential of our Consulting Q&A!
If you haven't already, you may also want to check out the following threads on common mistakes candidates make in case studies:
Keep up the great prep and best of luck for your upcoming interviews!
PrepLounge Community Management