Especially at later stage interviews.
This question is read-only because it has been merged with What are typical reasons why you reject interviewees?.
What are some common mistakes you've seen candidates make in case studies?
The most common and critical mistakes are:
1) Not clarifying / asking the details of the business model in the beginning
2) Not clarifying / quantifying objectives in the beginning
3) Using common frameworks and not adapting them to the case specifics
4) Not digging deep into the root causes of a problem and switching to other parts of your framework
5) Getting some data and not applying it (i.e. you should compare with previous periods / benchmarks / breakdown further into segments)
6) Slow math / math with mistakes / not stating clearly what you are trying to calculate and why
7) Providing a strong conclusion having limited data
8) !!! spending a lot of time on cases, having no fit interview practice
thank you for asking your question!
We're happy to see that you are tapping the full potential of our Consulting Q&A!
If you haven't already, you may also want to check out the following threads on common mistakes candidates make in case studies:
Keep up the great prep and best of luck for your upcoming interviews!
PrepLounge Community Management
Related BootCamp article(s)
The case study is the most important element of the case interview, which you'll have to nail in order to get into strategic consulting. Here you can learn the specific skills and concepts necessary to solve them.