When doing the sanitization, you are typically asked to do two main things:
- Change the numbers by 10-20%, so that it is not too off, and still sounds realistic. While doing this, you need to make sure that numbers speak to each other. For instance, there may be 2 different graphs which use the same data points (say total market size). You need to make sure that you change market size once, and reflect the changes in both graphs
- Change product/client names. There are three ways to do this, which depend on what your project leader wants:
- Put X, Y, Z or company 1, company 2, company 3 etc.
- Include additional names (e.g. if this is a chart about 5 fast-food chains, add a couple more names to the graph)
- Change names completely (e.g. replace McDonald's with Burger King etc.)
I hope this helps,