Hi, i have been asked to do online BCG test during my first round interview. Any ideas if this is take home online test (Mckinsey PST) style or is it on-site at BCG office? any leads will be highly appreciated.
BCG Test Online
Overview of answers
I have an interview with BCG in Germany coming up. They sent me information about the test, saying it would be done at the office at one of their PCs. Consisting of 20-25 Questions and 45 min executing time.
Correct answers earn you 3 points, blanks 0 points and incorrect answers result in a -1 point penalty.
BCG has been rolling out a new BCG Online Case (also called the Chatbot Interview) since 2019. As the name suggests, it can be done anywhere as long as you have an Internet connection. It is a 8-10 questions test structured in 2 parts:
- 8-10 questions to be taken in 25-30 minutes
- 1 video interview question at the end, where you have to provide a recommendation
The main differences compared to the previous version (BCG Potential Test) are the following:
- 8-10 questions instead of 23
- 25-30 min instead of 45
- Calculators allowed
- Presence of open questions
- Video sum up at the end
The main challenges based on the candidates I helped are the following:
- Time. Questions are not particularly difficult, however you will feel time constraints also due to the fact you don’t know how difficult the next questions could be - thus how much time they may require
- Chatbot interaction. Unlike a test like the McK PST, you cannot proceed “at your own pace”. You will have to follow the evolution of the test as questions are revealed one by one
- Math. Candidates often find the math quite challenging given the time constraint
If you want to prepare in the best possible way, I created a guide exactly for that.
This guide will:
- Show you the perfect strategy to answer the 5 types of questions in the Chatbot
- Offer you a clear strategy to optimally structure the One-Way Video Assessment
- Provide insider information from previous applicants who succeeded the Online Case
- Structure a clear preparation plan based on 6 FREE PSTs and Potential Tests
- Replicate the same experience of the interview thanks to 2 FREE Complete Chatbot Cases (Casey-style)
And much more ;)
You can download the guide instantly here:
As an extra bonus, I am currently offering the BCG Potential Test #1 (worth $39) and Graph Analysis Cheat Sheet (worth $29) for free with the guide. That may change in the future so hurry up if you are interested ;)
If you need additional support or have any questions on the guide please feel free to PM me, I will reply within 12 hours.
It's very similar to PST and GMAT.
Whether it will take on-sita or at home it depends on the office and location. So rather clarify it
I would recommend you to practice GMAT for BCG
1) Keeping your math trained with GMAT exercises is always a good idea. Free resourced can be found online, for example:
2) Also tests that usually are for investment banks (with graphs analysis) are a useful. Free resourced can be found online, for example:
3) Official BGC Potential test examples: https://www.bcg.com/careers/path/consulting/practice-interview-cases.aspx
Does it make sense to you?
BCG test includes 23 questions and you will be given about 45 minutes to complete it. This means you will have two minutes to solve each question on average.
The BCG online case is very similar to a regular case the only difference being that your direction in the business case is guided by the questions being asked. So it will be similar to an "interviewer-led" case format. There are a lot of resources online for case solving and all you need to do is Google. If you want to sharpen your case skills in general I would recommend Victor Cheng's Case Interview Secrets by Victor Cheng and his book.
However, since the BCG Online Case is also a single-choice test, you can also use this format to your advantage. You’ll receive+3 points for correct answers and -1 for wrong answers. Currently, the inofficial cut-off score is below 70-75%.
Message me if you have any other specific questions and all the best!
It's very similar to PST. In my case it was on-site on their laptop.
Ask about how they assess it - my proctor said that wrong answers would penalize total score.
in my case, it will be on-site (German office)
At least in my case, home online.