NOTE 1: I am offering a discounted rate of $189 until October 25th before it goes up to $389. This is an incredible offer from the ONLY ex-McKinsey Partner (also Oliver Wyman) PrepLounge. If you take advantage of this discounted rate by 10/25, you will be able to lock in the discounted rate for future sessions.
NOTE 2: Please check my "Availability" and propose meetings within those times / days. If you really need to schedule a day/time that is not marked as available, send me a message and I'll see what I can work out. As a general rule, the only potential times outside of the "available" times would be early morning (New York, ET) on Saturday and Sunday.
10/21 UPDATE 3: Every PrepLounge candidate that has had at least 2 sessions with me during my first 3 weeks on PrepLounge and has had an interview has passed to final rounds or received an OFFER. Yes, 100%! See success updates at very bottom.
During my 10+ years as a management consultant for four different firms, including as a Partner and Recruiting Leader at McKinsey, I have conducted over 1200 case interviews. I know there are 3 key success factors and the 2 deadly mistakes that determine whether a candidate will pass to the next round and / or receive an offer. I can teach you how to master the case interview and nail the 3 key success factors within only 2 – 3 sessions.
Compared to most Case Interview ‘Experts’ I bring unparalleled case interview experience and knowledge that will translate directly into helping you understand the ins and outs of case interviews and get at least one of your top job offers! My experience includes:
- Partner at McKinsey, Oliver Wyman and Peppers & Rogers
- Led McKinsey Boston Office Analyst recruiting / interviewing for 3 years
- Led McKinsey Boston Office overall recruiting / interviewing (MBA, Undergraduate and Experienced Hire) for 2 years
- Led Boston Summer Associate recruiting / interviewing for 3 years
- Co-led MIT Sloan MBA recruiting for all McKinsey offices for 3 years
- Led over 30 candidate interview decision meetings
- Conducted over 1200 case interviews, over 750 final round case interviews
- Worked closely with the McKinsey Lead Partner of Global Recruiting and the Manager of Global Recruiting to develop new case interview materials, formats and evaluations
- Have conducted more than 175 one-on-one in-person case interview coaching sessions
- Bring insights from different offices having spent siginifcant time in McKinsey's Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, London, Denmark, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro, Toronto, Moscow, Boston, Chicago, Stamford and New York offices.
I had final round interviews with Bain, Diamond Technology Partners, BCG and McKinsey before choosing the latter. However, given all of my experience now, I realize that I got lucky because I didn’t understand the 3 key success factors and the 2 deadly mistakes that candidates make. Don’t rely on luck and get the help you need. Remember, you only get one shot at a job offer before being black listed for 1 to 2 years!
It is important to highlight my experience as a recruiting leader and not just a case interviewer. Final round interviews with partners and senior partners can vary dramatically versus interviews with associates, managers and even associate partners. I have not only conducted over 750 final round interviews as a McKinsey partner but I have over 30 led the decision round interview meeting where candidate offer decisions are made. You will find that you will receive a much richer coaching experience from someone that has been a partner versus someone that has only been an associate or manager. Having conducted a significant number of PrepLounge meetings as an "Expert" does not replace the real world experience of having been a partner that has conducted final round interviews and seen how actual decisions are made. Be sure to look at your Experts resume and their length and title at the consulting firm(s).
My coaching method can be a bit tough for some people that are not used to candid feedback. I am very straight forward and don’t hold anything back when it comes to giving feedback. However, the payback is worth it. An amazing 80%+ of candidates (update as of 10/20/17) that I’ve coached were passed on to the 2nd Round or have received an offer in the 2nd / 3rd Round. If you compare that with the typical 10-40% pass rate (10% for T1 firms, 40% for T3 firms) for both Round 1 and Round 2 interviews. That is an outstanding improvement! As I mentioned in the "Update" above, 100% of candidates that I have coached for 2 or more sessions during my first 3 weeks on PrepLounge have moved to the the 2nd round or received an offer!
And, here’s the kicker. I just started on PrepLounge on 9/29/17. To get started, I’m offering a really discounted rate of $189 until October 21st. The rate will then go up to my normal in person $349 / €329 per session. This is your chance to take advantage of a true expert with unrivaled experience at an unbelievable rate! Remember, this is an investment in the rest of your career. The ROI on investing in several expert coaching sessions that leads to a consulting job offer is off the charts!
To answer a question I get a lot, "Why is someone with your experience coaching?", I am writing a book about interviewing for Management Consulting and I want to catalog more detailed notes about candidate case interview performance approaches, successes and common mistakes. So, PrepLounge gives me an opportunity to access a wide audience of candidates at various levels interviewing at different firms and in different countries.
MY UNIQUE APPROACH
While I have a result proven approach, I tailor my approach based on your background and your specific needs. I help candidates with both Case Interviews and Personal Impact interviews.
For case interviews, I focus on the 3 core aspects of the case interview, spending more or less time on each, as needed:
- Analytical thinking: The ability to use causal relationships in deductive problem solving
- Quantitative thinking: The ability to think analytically in a quantitative context
- Conceptual thinking: The ability to see patterns, relationships, and build conceptual frameworks in inductive problem solving
For Personal Impact interviews, I use a number of different scenarios. Here is a sample set of scenarios:
- Leading others: Tell me about a time you led a team through a difficult challenge
- Managing team conflict: Tell me about a time you worked in a team and had to manage a conflict
- Overcoming challenges: Tell me about a challenge you had to push yourself hard to overcome
- Creating opportunities: Tell me about a time where you have created opportunities for others to succeed
- Managing a personal conflict: Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a colleague / your boss
- Influencing others: Tell me about a time you changed the mind of a group of people / an individual
The single goal is to help you succeed. I will provide you both verbal (on the spot) and written feedback. And, I will provide you with my personal email address. I will respond within 12 hours to any questions you should have if you have an interview coming up within 48 hours, free of charge.
WHAT OUR SESSION WILL COVER AND WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE
Each session varies depending on whether we have had previous sessions before, but you can expect to cover the following:
- A non-time constrained full Case Interview covering all three aspects of the case interview – Analytical, Quantitative and Conceptual Thinking OR a series or Personal Impact Interviews
- Review of the 3 key success factors
- Details of the 2 deadly mistakes that kill a candidate’s chances of moving forward
- “Tricks of the trade” that help you impress even seasoned interviewers
- Explanation of differences between different consulting firms interview approaches and evaluations
- Bonus (session 2): Preparation for team exercises and evaluation criteria
- On the spot feedback of your case interview performance
- Follow-up formal written evaluation of your interview performance
My cases will be tougher than the ones you will receive during your actual interviews!
WHAT I NEED FROM YOU
In order to better understand where you are coming from as a candidate, I need to know a bit about your background. A first-round interviewer is presented with your resume, your office preferences (and sometimes why) and any special circumstances surrounding your application. A second-round interviewer will be presented with all of the above and the formal evaluations from the first-round interviewers. Before our first session I will need:
- A current resume
- Your LinkedIn profile URL
- Your target firms
- Your case interview experience (both practice and actual)
- What type of case you want to start with (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
Remember, the single biggest predictor of case interview success is your amount of case interview practice!
SUCCESS UPDATES AS OF 10/20/17 (Includes 5 Europe and 3 U.S. and 1 Middle East)
- October 6: Bain pass to 2nd round
- October 12: McKinsey pass to 2nd round
- October 13: BCG offer
- October 13: Oliver Wyman offer
- October 14: Strategy& offer
- October 17: McKinsey pass to 2nd round
- October 18: BCG pass to 2nd round
- October 19: McKinsey offer
- October 20: Accenture offer