I have been working as a management consultant at a Tier 2 consultancy for about 1 year. Now I would like to apply for MBB, however, I am not entirely sure what to write in my cover letter and what in case of an interview to say (personal fit).
I do specifically not like my current employer because:
1. I have the feeling that I do not learn as much as I expected in a consultancy and the company environment does not allow me to live up to my full potential (especially the learning/coaching process we have)
2. We are staffed for a very long time on the same project for 1-2 years. However, being able to work for different clients/industries was one of the main reasons why I joined consulting
3. My work is very operational instead of strategic which I do not really like
4. I am not completely convinced of the abilities of some of my co-workers/managers
I hope to find exactly a solution for these 4 points at MBB. Should I be honest and tell them exactly that since I find these are valid reasons? I am a bit hesitant since these points sound very negative and could lead to the impression that rather I am the problem and was not able to raise the points and find a solution. Additionally, I don't want to give the impression that I am someone who is only complaining and would maybe do the same at MBB after 1 year.
I also assume that they will ask “Why did you not join MBB in the first place?" The honest reason is
1. I thought my chances were rather poor and therefore did not even try to apply
2. I thought MBB does not value the people as much as my current employer
Should I also here be very open and honest? Or find a different story?
Thank you very much for your input in advance :)