Hello to you everyone. Sorry for my English. I come from Spain but I live in Austria for university. I go to MBB event soon, and wonder do people ever receive interview invitation from a MBB event? It is not event with my uni. It is separate event I applied for with MBB for long lunch and coffee with MBB consultants.
Based on my experience with recruiting at McKinsey, events are a great place to network with the consultants at the firm. We were asked to write down the names of candidates that we found promising or sometimes even to pitch the firm to candidates that were already considered strong. I would encourage you to make a strong effort talking to people and also try to speak to some of the more senior people at the event, their recommendations matter a lot.
It is likely that if you connect with the consultants there that they will inform HR and any recruiting leads about you, which gives you a better shot at being invited back. You would still have to meet all of the other criteria such as being from a top school, having a strong GPA etc.
Hope that helps,
It depends on the structure of a workshop:
- Option A: Consultants will show you how to solve a case or just speak on different topics. Here you don't need to do anything special - just try to have a couple of nice conversations after the case. Don't expect to get any benefits from that and don't do anything special
- Option B: You'll be split into teams with a dedicated consultant observing you solving the case together. Here your main objective is to demonstrate how good you are at solving the cases. That's the only and the best way to impress. Also be careful, since it does not mean you should not listen to others and try being an absolute leader. Be the guy with the smart ideas. I know many candidates who got invited to McKinsey PST or Bain interviews without a test after these events.
You'll also get a chance to:
- Look how MBB approaches solving a case
- Talk to MBB people and get some information for you FIT interview (why The Company reasons, topics for your questions to the interviewer, etc)
- Meet with other candidates with whom you can practice the cases further
PS. After each event, there is a Q&A session where you can talk to consultants 1 on 1 or in a group. If you want to keep in touch - send a thank you note after the event:
- "I just wanted to thank you for visiting our University...
- It was especially interesting to hear about...
- Would be happy to keep in touch and apply in the nearest future.
Alternatively, you may use LinkedIn for that.