Taking an example, "Children vaccine" case, I wonder how we structure the case, whether it use the same structure (MECE or issue tree) like other types of case or we use the different structure for market sizing case.
How to structuring the market sizing case?
First of all, market sizing can be either a part of the case or a standalone case.
Secondly, It's less about different types of the problems but rather about the tools that you use:
1) First of all, there are 2 ways to structure market sizing:
- Formula - basically a math formula to come up with a solution. The problem with the formula is that it is easy to forget something or get lost.
- Tree - same as with regular cases you build a tree. A very simple example: you need to calculate the number of dogs on manhattan. A number of dogs = share of households having a dog * # of households. # of households = population / average household size. In the end, you'll have a pyramid where you have to fill the numbers on the base of the pyramid. This approach is much easier and help you track all the numbers
2) You should learn the key market sizing techniques:
- Making assumptions based on personal experiences (Use the example of your house where out of 100 apt-s 10 have dogs)
- Adjusting numbers (NY is a busy city thus fewer people have dogs)
- Sanity check - try to apply your calculations to the real environment
3) You should learn the key tools:
- Using age even age split (suppose life expectancy is 80 years. Assuming even age split we have 4 mln people in US of each age)
- Using 80/20 split (suppose 20% people earn 80% wealth and the average salary is xx...)
- Using approximations (Length of NY-SF flight and plane speed to calculate US length)
4) Learn key numbers: populations, gas price, gas consumption, Boeing speed and nmber of seats, average salary, # of gates in the airport, GDP growth rate, inflation, etc.
5) Practice 10-15 cases and you'll be fine. Almost all casebooks have good market sizing examples and the solutions
Feel free to PM for clarifications
Related BootCamp article(s)
It's essential to know some key figures regarding geographies, population, economies for your case interviews. We summarized them for you here.
Your client, large automotive OEM WyCar, has developed its first fully electric vehicle (EV) and introduced it as a pilot on the Austrian market last year. However, sales have been far below the expected numbers. The management has engaged you to support them in understanding the reasons and advise ... Open whole case
You have inherited the “Old Winery” from your grandfather, a winery which has been family owned for five generations and can be dated back to the 16th century. Half of the eleven hectares are used to grow white grapes, the other half to grow red grapes. They are grown in the conventional way, i.e. ... Open whole case
Onlinestar, an online retailer of furniture and garden products (core business), has grown significantly in recent years as a result of an expansion of its product portfolio. The company mainly imports goods from Chinese manufacturers but also operates its own production of cat lavatories (special b ... Open whole case
Your customer is the market leader in the North American elevator service business. This is divided into the areas of elevator construction, elevator modernization and service. The customer has a particularly strong branch network in medium-sized cities and would now like to expand its business in ... Open whole case
Nutripremium is a very well-known premium nutrition food company in Europe (€1 billion revenue last year). It is based in Spain and has an excellent market share not only in its home country but also in Portugal, France, Italy and Germany. Nutripremium has two main lines of products: Vitamin-supp ... Open whole case