Help! Tbh I have no idea how to approach this question. How would you solve it??
Case: How many elephants are there?
Our Goal: #elephants
- #elephant = (elephant to human ratio) * (total human population)
- = 1 truck per 10,000 person (assumption) * 7B people
- = 7,000,000,000/10,000 elephants in total
- =70,000 elephants
- Life-span of elephants is approximately 70 years (in a poaching free forest)
- #elephants / lifespan
- = 70,000/70y = 1000/y (this is the #elephants dying every year)
- looks reasonable
- If you estimate how many elephants are born every year
- say we have a positive trend in elephant birth due to WWF's effort
- Approximately 5% per year, so 5% of the total amount will increase
- = 1000*5% = 50
- 1050 elephants take birth every year.
- The answer would be: there are 70,000 elephants in the world today and about 1050 take birth every year
Always segment. You maybe able to segment by Wild vs Zoo...or segment by Continents vs percentage each continent has Elephants etc
Related BootCamp article(s)
Learn how to tackle brain teasers and what purpose they serve in consulting case interviews
Typical Question Types in Written Tests
Questions among all tests can be categorized in math, GMAT-style, chart reading and brain teaser questions. Each type needs to be approached differently.
Your client, large automotive OEM WyCar, has developed its first fully electric vehicle (EV) and introduced it as a pilot on the Austrian market last year. However, sales have been far below the expected numbers. The management has engaged you to support them in understanding the reasons and advise ... Open whole case
You have inherited the “Old Winery” from your grandfather, a winery which has been family owned for five generations and can be dated back to the 16th century. Half of the eleven hectares are used to grow white grapes, the other half to grow red grapes. They are grown in the conventional way, i.e. ... Open whole case
Onlinestar, an online retailer of furniture and garden products (core business), has grown significantly in recent years as a result of an expansion of its product portfolio. The company mainly imports goods from Chinese manufacturers but also operates its own production of cat lavatories (special b ... Open whole case
Your customer is the market leader in the North American elevator service business. This is divided into the areas of elevator construction, elevator modernization and service. The customer has a particularly strong branch network in medium-sized cities and would now like to expand its business in ... Open whole case
Our client Pharma Finance just finalized its first investment round and received $ 40m to invest in the build-up of a pharmaceutical manufacturing company. The CEO is mainly interested in high margins and profitable markets, with a sustainable and green production. This is why he wants you to find o ... Open whole case