Help! Tbh I have no idea how to approach this question. How would you solve it??
Case: How many elephants are there?
Our Goal: #elephants
- #elephant = (elephant to human ratio) * (total human population)
- = 1 truck per 10,000 person (assumption) * 7B people
- = 7,000,000,000/10,000 elephants in total
- =70,000 elephants
- Life-span of elephants is approximately 70 years (in a poaching free forest)
- #elephants / lifespan
- = 70,000/70y = 1000/y (this is the #elephants dying every year)
- looks reasonable
- If you estimate how many elephants are born every year
- say we have a positive trend in elephant birth due to WWF's effort
- Approximately 5% per year, so 5% of the total amount will increase
- = 1000*5% = 50
- 1050 elephants take birth every year.
- The answer would be: there are 70,000 elephants in the world today and about 1050 take birth every year
Always segment. You maybe able to segment by Wild vs Zoo...or segment by Continents vs percentage each continent has Elephants etc
Related BootCamp article(s)
Your client, large automotive OEM WyCar, has developed its first fully electric vehicle (EV) and introduced it as a pilot on the Austrian market last year. However, sales have been far below the expected numbers. The management has engaged you to support them in understanding the reasons and advise ... Open whole case
You have inherited the “Old Winery” from your grandfather, a winery which has been family owned for five generations and can be dated back to the 16th century. Half of the eleven hectares are used to grow white grapes, the other half to grow red grapes. They are grown in the conventional way, i.e ... Open whole case
Nutripremium is a very well-known premium nutrition food company in Europe (€1 billion revenue last year). It is based in Spain and has an excellent market share not only in its home country but also in Portugal, France, Italy and Germany. Nutripremium has two main lines of products: Vitam ... Open whole case
Beyer, one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world, just invented a very reliable vaccine against Chickenpox, a disease that affects children in the age from 2 to 16 years. Beyer came to you wondering what their potential sales in Europe in the first year would be if they launched th ... Open whole case