Cookie and Privacy Settings

This website uses cookies to enable essential functions like the user login and sessions. We also use cookies and third-party tools to improve your surfing experience on preplounge.com. You can choose to activate only essential cookies or all cookies. You can always change your preference in the cookie and privacy settings. This link can also be found in the footer of the site. If you need more information, please visit our privacy policy.

Data processing in the USA: By clicking on "I accept", you also consent, in accordance with article 49 paragraph 1 sentence 1 lit. GDPR, to your data being processed in the USA (by Google LLC, Facebook Inc., LinkedIn Inc., Stripe, Paypal).

Manage settings individually I accept
expert
Expert with best answer

Franco

100% Recommendation Rate

2 Meetings

513 Q&A Upvotes

USD 219 / Coaching

8

"Can I have more time to sign?" Not a plan B

I have an offer from BCG and McKisney interviews the week after the deadline by which I should sign BCG.

Given that I have not made up my mind between the two and might take BCG over McKinsey, I dont wan't to give a bad first impression by asking BCG to postpone the deadline and think that they are a "plan B".

1. How would the partners/firm percieve this request to postpone the deadline given my excitment to join BCG?

2. Is it worth asking to postpone the signing deadline (and take any reputational cost that may imply) given that I'm leading towards taking the BCG offer + might not get the McKinsey offer in any case?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I have an offer from BCG and McKisney interviews the week after the deadline by which I should sign BCG.

Given that I have not made up my mind between the two and might take BCG over McKinsey, I dont wan't to give a bad first impression by asking BCG to postpone the deadline and think that they are a "plan B".

1. How would the partners/firm percieve this request to postpone the deadline given my excitment to join BCG?

2. Is it worth asking to postpone the signing deadline (and take any reputational cost that may imply) given that I'm leading towards taking the BCG offer + might not get the McKinsey offer in any case?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

(edited)

8 answers

  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best Answer
Book a coaching with Franco

100% Recommendation Rate

2 Meetings

513 Q&A Upvotes

USD 219 / Coaching

First of all congratulations on your job offer and, as a long-standing BCGer, I cannot help but sympathize with your choice of BCG over McK :-)

In general terms, I've seen plenty of candidates asking for a couple of additional weeks to make up their mind about whether or not to accept the job offer (and this also happens with candidates that show incredible enthusiasm and eagerness to start to work over the interviews).

If you made a very good impression during the interviews and you decided to take a couple of weeks to think about the job offer, most likely the recruiting team or a BCG partner will reach out to you asking if there is anything they can do to convince you to accept the offer (this happens especially if they risk losing talent over their direct competitor).

Believe me, consulting companies invest more than 10kUSD to recruit every single candidate and once they find a good one they would do "everything" to convince him/her to accept the offer. I don't see any chance why asking for a couple of extra weeks would backfire on you.

First of all congratulations on your job offer and, as a long-standing BCGer, I cannot help but sympathize with your choice of BCG over McK :-)

In general terms, I've seen plenty of candidates asking for a couple of additional weeks to make up their mind about whether or not to accept the job offer (and this also happens with candidates that show incredible enthusiasm and eagerness to start to work over the interviews).

If you made a very good impression during the interviews and you decided to take a couple of weeks to think about the job offer, most likely the recruiting team or a BCG partner will reach out to you asking if there is anything they can do to convince you to accept the offer (this happens especially if they risk losing talent over their direct competitor).

Believe me, consulting companies invest more than 10kUSD to recruit every single candidate and once they find a good one they would do "everything" to convince him/her to accept the offer. I don't see any chance why asking for a couple of extra weeks would backfire on you.

(edited)

Book a coaching with Clara

100% Recommendation Rate

55 Meetings

14,641 Q&A Upvotes

USD 229 / Coaching

Hello!

It´s totally legit to ask for more time since you are still in the interview process with another MBB. It happens ALL THE TIME and they are very familiar with these situations. It´s not going to give you any problem at all if you explain the situation politely.

Even if you know that you would get BCG over McKinsye, I would 100% for the interview. You never know how life goes -if COVID has showed us something it was that- and having had an offer for McKinsey can be something useful at some point down the line.

Hence, I totally disagree with most of what has been said before and wanted to offer this perspective.

Go get that McK offer! (And then sign it, hahahaha)

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Hello!

It´s totally legit to ask for more time since you are still in the interview process with another MBB. It happens ALL THE TIME and they are very familiar with these situations. It´s not going to give you any problem at all if you explain the situation politely.

Even if you know that you would get BCG over McKinsye, I would 100% for the interview. You never know how life goes -if COVID has showed us something it was that- and having had an offer for McKinsey can be something useful at some point down the line.

Hence, I totally disagree with most of what has been said before and wanted to offer this perspective.

Go get that McK offer! (And then sign it, hahahaha)

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Book a coaching with Ian

100% Recommendation Rate

236 Meetings

20,716 Q&A Upvotes

USD 289 / Coaching

Hi there,

Let me tell you about Aesop's fable about the dog and the bone. There was a dog who was given a bone by a local butcher. It was super happy about about this and ran to the river to chew on it. However, upon arriving, and looking into the river, it saw another dog with a bone in it's mouth. Thinking it could snatch this bone away, it dove in with jaws open. It's own bone fell out and drifted away in the current as the 2nd dog reflection vanished with a splash. The dog was left with nothing.

I'm not saying BCG will rescind its offer if you ask for more time. But, if you "might" take the BCG offer, you're ultimately going to. This is the offer I'm presuming you actually want (I'm interpreting from your text...but you ultimately only you know).

If you think you prefer BCG, then the only reason for interviewing with McKinsey now is ego. Drop the ego and be happy with what you got!

That said, here are pros vs cons.

Taking the BCG offer

  • 0 risk to reputation
  • 0 risk of rescinded offer
  • You'll forget about the McKinsey interview quickly

Trying to delay

  • Get to know if you'd get McKinsey
  • Get the choice between the two
  • People tend to forget (if you delay at BCG), and you'd mostly be talking to HR to delay the signing date

Final Note: If you genuinely are undecided, then you can ask BCG for a few weeks to just think through it...again, only do this if you're genuinely undecided (I don't think you are)

Hi there,

Let me tell you about Aesop's fable about the dog and the bone. There was a dog who was given a bone by a local butcher. It was super happy about about this and ran to the river to chew on it. However, upon arriving, and looking into the river, it saw another dog with a bone in it's mouth. Thinking it could snatch this bone away, it dove in with jaws open. It's own bone fell out and drifted away in the current as the 2nd dog reflection vanished with a splash. The dog was left with nothing.

I'm not saying BCG will rescind its offer if you ask for more time. But, if you "might" take the BCG offer, you're ultimately going to. This is the offer I'm presuming you actually want (I'm interpreting from your text...but you ultimately only you know).

If you think you prefer BCG, then the only reason for interviewing with McKinsey now is ego. Drop the ego and be happy with what you got!

That said, here are pros vs cons.

Taking the BCG offer

  • 0 risk to reputation
  • 0 risk of rescinded offer
  • You'll forget about the McKinsey interview quickly

Trying to delay

  • Get to know if you'd get McKinsey
  • Get the choice between the two
  • People tend to forget (if you delay at BCG), and you'd mostly be talking to HR to delay the signing date

Final Note: If you genuinely are undecided, then you can ask BCG for a few weeks to just think through it...again, only do this if you're genuinely undecided (I don't think you are)

(edited)

Book a coaching with Adi

100% Recommendation Rate

62 Meetings

5,856 Q&A Upvotes

USD 159 / Coaching

Why delay when I think you already know the answer..BCG :)?

A week of extra time wont be a big deal for either firms, but make sure you have a clear plan to fill the gap in your knowledge that will convince you to take one over the other. From my perspective, these factors should be- better fit with your career aspirations, values & risk apetitie. Once this is in place, rest will happen.

Congrats and all the best!

Why delay when I think you already know the answer..BCG :)?

A week of extra time wont be a big deal for either firms, but make sure you have a clear plan to fill the gap in your knowledge that will convince you to take one over the other. From my perspective, these factors should be- better fit with your career aspirations, values & risk apetitie. Once this is in place, rest will happen.

Congrats and all the best!

Book a coaching with Gaurav

100% Recommendation Rate

197 Meetings

6,321 Q&A Upvotes

USD 169 / Coaching

Hey there!

I agree with Franco in general, however, I do have a question. If you want to choose BCG over McKinsey anyway, why would you want to postpone the deadline to be interviewed by McK? I believe that there are good chances that McKinsey will make you an offer as well, so why wouldn't you just sign for BCG already?))

Anyway, congratulations and good luck!

GB

Hey there!

I agree with Franco in general, however, I do have a question. If you want to choose BCG over McKinsey anyway, why would you want to postpone the deadline to be interviewed by McK? I believe that there are good chances that McKinsey will make you an offer as well, so why wouldn't you just sign for BCG already?))

Anyway, congratulations and good luck!

GB

Book a coaching with Raj

100% Recommendation Rate

52 Meetings

867 Q&A Upvotes

USD 169 / Coaching

You've already received plenty of perspectives on this so far. In general you are absolutely fine to ask for an additional week to think about (I would hesitate to ask for more than that to avoid coming across as buying time or indecisive). I would ensure you frame your ask in a very enthusiastic and positive light, and demonstrate that enthusiasm in all your interactions.

You've already received plenty of perspectives on this so far. In general you are absolutely fine to ask for an additional week to think about (I would hesitate to ask for more than that to avoid coming across as buying time or indecisive). I would ensure you frame your ask in a very enthusiastic and positive light, and demonstrate that enthusiasm in all your interactions.

Book a coaching with Antonello

98% Recommendation Rate

154 Meetings

5,257 Q&A Upvotes

USD 219 / Coaching

Hi, first of all, congrats on the offer! I can confirm it is standard. If BCG will not leave you waiting for McK feel free to sign the contract and then decide if withdraw it. It is normal too even if not preferrable

Best,
Antonello

Hi, first of all, congrats on the offer! I can confirm it is standard. If BCG will not leave you waiting for McK feel free to sign the contract and then decide if withdraw it. It is normal too even if not preferrable

Best,
Antonello

Book a coaching with Florian

100% Recommendation Rate

110 Meetings

3,708 Q&A Upvotes

USD 169 / Coaching

Hey there,

Good perspectives here already. I want to add mine briefly as well.

Generally, there is a huge power imbalance between employers and employees. Firms sometimes don't get back to candidates for weeks or even months, yet it is expected for candidates to reply as soon as possible in such situations.

Now that you passed the BCG assessment (congrats! :-) ), this power balance has shifted a bit in your direction. Franco is right that MBB invest a lot into recruiting a candidate (e.g., for McK the investment per candidate hired is rumored to be even closer to six figures even due marketing, recruiting events, sponsoring, HR organization, etc.).

I would recommend you not to get pressured by any firm and just tell them to extend.

1. They would accept it

2. Yes! You are not the first and won't be the last

Fingers crossed for McKinsey!

Cheers,

Florian

Hey there,

Good perspectives here already. I want to add mine briefly as well.

Generally, there is a huge power imbalance between employers and employees. Firms sometimes don't get back to candidates for weeks or even months, yet it is expected for candidates to reply as soon as possible in such situations.

Now that you passed the BCG assessment (congrats! :-) ), this power balance has shifted a bit in your direction. Franco is right that MBB invest a lot into recruiting a candidate (e.g., for McK the investment per candidate hired is rumored to be even closer to six figures even due marketing, recruiting events, sponsoring, HR organization, etc.).

I would recommend you not to get pressured by any firm and just tell them to extend.

1. They would accept it

2. Yes! You are not the first and won't be the last

Fingers crossed for McKinsey!

Cheers,

Florian

Related case(s)

McKinsey Questions

Solved 39.4k times
McKinsey Questions Tell me of a situation where you had an opinion and no one seemed to agree with you. What was your goal when you decided to join university / work / clubs / a sports team? Did you have a goal that you were not able to reach? What did you do? What do you want to be remembered for and how are you achieving it? What is your typical way of dealing with conflict?
4.5 5 863
| Rating: (4.5 / 5.0) |
Difficulty: Intermediate | Style: Fit Interview | Topics: Personal fit

Tell me of a situation where you had an opinion and no one seemed to agree with you. What was your goal when you decided to join university / work / clubs / a sports team? Did you have a goal that you were not able to reach? What did you do? What do you want to be remembered for and how are you ... Open whole case

BCG Questions

Solved 27.2k times
BCG Questions What arouses your interest when you are working / studying / doing another activity (from the CV)? Tell me of a time where you had no idea what you were doing. When did you use an uncommon approach to do something? Have you ever had responsibility for other people? Tell me of a situation where you were not the official leader.
4.5 5 212
| Rating: (4.5 / 5.0) |
Difficulty: Intermediate | Style: Fit Interview | Topics: Personal fit

What arouses your interest when you are working / studying / doing another activity (from the CV)? Tell me of a time where you had no idea what you were doing. When did you use an uncommon approach to do something? Have you ever had responsibility for other people? Tell me of a situation where ... Open whole case

MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education

Solved 16.6k times
MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvantaged areas. The client is considering starting operations for its services in the Chicago area. They hired us to understand if that makes sense. Due to the nonprofit regulation, SmartBridge should operate on its own in the market, without any partnership. How would you help our client?
4.6 5 583
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvant ... Open whole case

Espresso, Whatelse?

Solved 9.8k times
Espresso, Whatelse? Espresso Whatelse is an Italian company that produces coffee and espresso machines since 1908. It is the Italian market leader and has a strong presence overall in Europe. In 2019, Espresso Whatelse has increased its revenues but it has seen declining profit margin. Your client wants to understand the root causes of this 2019 trend and how to increase its profit margin again.  
4.6 5 487
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Espresso Whatelse is an Italian company that produces coffee and espresso machines since 1908. It is the Italian market leader and has a strong presence overall in Europe. In 2019, Espresso Whatelse has increased its revenues but it has seen declining profit margin. Your client wants to understand ... Open whole case

Hot Wheels

Solved 5.2k times
Hot Wheels Problem definition: Our client is Korean Car Parts (KCP), a multi-national original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of car parts based in Korea. They've recently seen a decline in profits and have brought us in to understand how to address this falling profitability.
4.6 5 290
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Problem definition: Our client is Korean Car Parts (KCP), a multi-national original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of car parts based in Korea. They've recently seen a decline in profits and have brought us in to understand how to address this falling profitability. Open whole case