Hi everyone, going into Bain finals soon and will need to do a written case - has anyone ever practiced this? Or if not, how have you prepared for it? Quite nervous given it's a new concept to me..
Written Case Practice
Bain Written Case has 2 parts:
- Case information you have to go through
- Slides with the missing info you have to complete
Since each question in a written case has an exact correct answer, the success criteria is the number of questions answered correctly.
I have uploaded the samples of Bain and BCG written cases here (ask me for a password):
The best way to prepare is the following:
- Check if the calculator is allowed. If not - you have to train mental math. I posted the main tips here: https://www.preplounge.com/en/consulting-forum/tips-to-do-big-multiplications-in-my-mind-726#a1422
- Practice solving the cases - basically, preplounge website is about it
- Practice reading cases fast and prioritizing the information. You can use 2 sources:
- Written cases in the internet (You can find some of them in google or in case books)
- Harvard cases - either buy or try to download somewhere in the web. You can find a couple of MIT cases here for free: https://mitsloan.mit.edu/LearningEdge/Pages/Case-Studies.aspx The main problem - these free cases don't have any pre-defined questions.
Related BootCamp article(s)
LubricantsCo, a very successful Asian premium producer of lubricants in their native region, would like to further increase their revenue and profit. The product range ranges from lubricants in the automotive sector (e.g. motor and gear oil) to industrial applications (e.g. fats, heavy-duty oils). ... Open whole case
You have inherited the “Old Winery” from your grandfather, a winery which has been family owned for five generations and can be dated back to the 16th century. Half of the eleven hectares are used to grow white grapes, the other half to grow red grapes. They are grown in the conventional way, i.e. ... Open whole case
Tell me about a difficult situation you had to cope with. Tell me of a task which you didn’t like doing and explain why you performed it nevertheless. Why do you do things? What do you like doing most / What is your favorite hobby? Walk me through a situation where you showed leadership skills. Open whole case