Just wanted some ideas on how to stay sharp and fresh before an interview, don't want to miss any key observations and give sub-par business insights
What are some ways to freshen your mind before an interview?
Overview of answers
For me, my routine the day of an interview was to wake up and have a solid breakfast, go on a run/exercise to get my blood flowing. I then spent ~10-15min doing some math problems to warm up, and then shortly before the interview I did some mindful meditation (I use the app Headspace), to clear my head.
I also took the day or two before the interview to not do cases and just try to relax, to give my mind a break.
- Sleep as much as possible (seriously, 10+ hours)
- Gape before and between the interviews!!! It really helps to get the oxygen to your brains and recharge quickly!
- You can do 5 min of math exercises just before the interview to come back in shape
- No cases!!!
- Take a breakfast / lunch with long-lasting carbs (Oats, quinoa, etc)
- Meditate (Headspace app can help you)
- Keep smiling, it's important. It really improves your mental state of mind if you are smiling! If you ask me what is the one game changer that helps people to produce a good impression I would say it's a smile!
- Keep professional. Think of yourself as a pro. You are not a kid, you are a guy who comes and solves the problem. Be dressed professionally, sit on the chair professionally - pose is important, have a professional voice. It will remove this mental state of being stressed.
assuming you’ve done your job on the preparation side, you now need to make sure you perfom at your full potential on the d-day. This is where your mindset is playing a key role :
- force yourself in a positive mindset : you should be excited this is the opportunity you’ve prepared for a long time now
- arrive in fresh condition : sleep early. Wake up early and have a breakfast
- stay focus during the interview : trust your preparation and give the best of you can do
From my personal experience, the most helpful way to freshen your mind is enough sleep and meditation. Don't practice cases, just try to concentrate and keep calm.
Good luck with your interview!
Vlad has a good list of ideas to make sure your mind is well rested and performing at it's best.
In addition to this, you should generally do whatever works for you and makes you relax. I personally love swimming, and find it super relaxing and almost "meditative". Therefore, when I had the chance, I would try go for a swim in the morning at the local pool before my interviews.