Signed offer: No response from recruiters on start date after 4 attempts.

Bain & Company start-date
New answer on Jan 25, 2023
7 Answers
109 Views
Anonymous A asked on Jan 24, 2023

Hi Everyone,

I have an offer at the MBA/PhD level from Bain. The start date was anticipated to be Q2. The offer letter was signed and signing bonus given out. Being that Q2 is starting to approach I reached out to the recruiter for more info on a potential date range to plan the move, cancel my lease with required 60 days notice, and attend a friend's wedding over seas in March. So far I have emailed (3 times) on 1/6, 1/12, and 1/23 for more info and have had radio silence. Called the office on 1/13 and left a message with the secretary. Nothing. I have another non-MBB offer I need to make a decision on this week which I were to take it the offer were to fall through.

One point consider is that the original offer was made for another office and I was transferred.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have there been layoffs or delayed starts due to the current job market? Any thoughts on next steps? I am starting to get nervous by the lack of communication.

(edited)

Overview of answers

Upvotes
  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best answer
Cristian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Jan 24, 2023
Top McK Coach|Public & Verifiable success rates|Honest feedback: no sugar-coating|Success stories ➨ tinyurl.com/43rkxa8f

Hi there, 

I can understand that this makes you nervous. 

They're most likely not responding because they don't yet know what starting date to give you or because they are swamped in work. Either way, it's not ok to not respond. 

My suggestion would be to wait at this point. They will surely get back to you when they can. Don't contact them again. 3 times is plenty already.

Firms are navigating some difficult times now and some are pushing their starting dates. Worst case scenario they're going to ask you to start later. Try and enjoy life in the meantime. 

Best,

Cristian

Was this answer helpful?
Florian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Jan 25, 2023
#1 rated McKinsey Case and PEI Coach | 5 years at McKinsey | Mentorship Approach | 120+ McK offers in 18 months

Hi there,

Super unprofessional from Bain…

Unfortunately, the hiring situation is quite bad and all firms have scaled down their hiring goals or even froze hiring all together, so it could be that they are figuring out what to do.

In any case, they should keep you in the loop.

If I were in your shoes I would call HR and tell them or the assistant that you have this cross-offer (+follow up with an email in capital letters in the title like Ian mentioned) and if they do not react within the week, accept the other offer.

Cheers,

Florian

Was this answer helpful?
Hagen
Expert
replied on Jan 25, 2023
Bain Project Leader and interviewer for 7+ years | >95% success rate | mentor and coach for 6+ years

Hi there,

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with Bain!

I think this is an interesting question that may be relevant for many people. I would be happy to share my thoughts on it:

  • It's not uncommon for the recruitment process to take longer than expected, especially in the current global situation. The lack of communication from the recruiter regarding your start date can be frustrating and concerning. It's possible that the firm is still in the process of finalizing details regarding your start date, and they may not have all the information to share with you yet. Additionally, in the current uncertain economic market, firms may be reevaluating their recruiting strategy altogether and this may be causing delays in the process.
  • It's understandable that you are nervous, but I suggest you reach out again to the recruiter by calling him/ her directly, until he/ she picks up and speaks with you. Let him/ her know that you have other options and you would like to have a final decision as soon as possible. You can also inquire about the status of your start date, and ask if there have been any delays or changes to the original plan.
  • It's also important to keep in mind that the recruitment process is a numbers game, and even if you don't eventually receive an offer from this firm, it doesn't mean you won't be successful in the future. Keep your options open – especially given you already have another offer – and continue to apply for other opportunities in the industry.

If you would like a more detailed discussion on how to address your specific situation, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Best,

Hagen

Was this answer helpful?
Ian
Expert
Content Creator
updated an answer on Jan 25, 2023
MBB | 100% personal interview success rate (8/8) and 95% candidate success rate | Personalized interview prep

Hi there,

While they're certainly being unresponsive, please be careful in the future to not email so often! (I would have opted to call a few times, without leaving a message, waiting until they picked up).

This next piece of advice is to be taken with a grain of salt, and please don't jump in and do it because I've said this (you have not paid me to be your coach so I do not know your whole scenario), but, if it were me, I would:

Send an email titled “Response needed ASAP - Accepting Alternate Offer”, and then in the body short and sweet say there's another expiring offer this week and that you will need to accept it given you have not heard from them and have to assume they are not honoring your contract. Say that If they can respond before x date and provide a start date before the other deadline, you might reconsider.

I would also cc the Partners I interviewed with.

^This is what I would do but it is not saying what you should do.

(edited)

Was this answer helpful?
Pedro
Expert
replied on Jan 24, 2023
Bain | EY-Parthenon | Roland Berger | FIT | Market Sizing | Former Head Recruiter

Go the old way: grab the phone and call them.

Was this answer helpful?
Udayan
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Jan 24, 2023
Top rated McKinsey Case & PEI coach/Multiple real offers/McKinsey EM in New York /6 years McKinsey recruiting experience

If you have another offer and they are responding to your emails then it might be a safer bet. It is very strange for a company to not reply even if it is to say they do not know when you will start.

Was this answer helpful?
Dennis
Expert
replied on Jan 24, 2023
Seasoned project leader with 7+ years of consulting and recruiting experience in USA and Europe

Hi there,

congrats on your offers but sorry to hear that you are in such a stressful situation. If you already have a signed contract and you received your signing bonus, then you can assume that you will start at the firm. 

The fact that you have not heard back from the recruiter is odd. Maybe the person is out of office for some reason? I would definitely try to call and speak to someone from HR for guidance - since other things like your lease termination on moving date depend on this. I think it is warranted for you to follow up via phone and even speak to other HR folks if your recruiting contact is not available/reachable.

Good luck

Was this answer helpful?
Cristian gave the best answer

Cristian

Content Creator
Top McK Coach|Public & Verifiable success rates|Honest feedback: no sugar-coating|Success stories ➨ tinyurl.com/43rkxa8f
265
Meetings
6,645
Q&A Upvotes
50
Awards
5.0
91 Reviews