Cookie and Privacy Settings

This website uses cookies to enable essential functions like the user login and sessions. We also use cookies and third-party tools to improve your surfing experience on preplounge.com. You can choose to activate only essential cookies or all cookies. You can always change your preference in the cookie and privacy settings. This link can also be found in the footer of the site. If you need more information, please visit our privacy policy.

Data processing in the USA: By clicking on "I accept", you also consent, in accordance with article 49 paragraph 1 sentence 1 lit. GDPR, to your data being processed in the USA (by Google LLC, Facebook Inc., LinkedIn Inc., Stripe, Paypal).

Manage settings individually I accept
expert
Expert with best answer

Francesco

100% Recommendation Rate

3,262 Meetings

11,446 Q&A Upvotes

USD 429 / Coaching

6

MMB start date in Jan: when to quit current job?

Dear community,

signed an MBB offer in middle Europe with a start date in January 21 due to the current COVID situation. I am now wondering when to quit my current job.

I really want to take a break and in the best case use the time for travelling, I thought about 3 month from Oct-Dec. However, the current situation makes it unclear if that will work at all but borders in Europe are at least partialy open.

At the same time I worry about the situation worsening again and that my contract would be rescinded after I already quit.

As I would have to notice my company very soon for this if I want out in October, I am looking for some opinions what others in my situation are doing / would do. I know there is no wright or wrong answer to this.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Best

Dear community,

signed an MBB offer in middle Europe with a start date in January 21 due to the current COVID situation. I am now wondering when to quit my current job.

I really want to take a break and in the best case use the time for travelling, I thought about 3 month from Oct-Dec. However, the current situation makes it unclear if that will work at all but borders in Europe are at least partialy open.

At the same time I worry about the situation worsening again and that my contract would be rescinded after I already quit.

As I would have to notice my company very soon for this if I want out in October, I am looking for some opinions what others in my situation are doing / would do. I know there is no wright or wrong answer to this.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Best

6 answers

  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best Answer
Book a coaching with Francesco

100% Recommendation Rate

3,262 Meetings

11,446 Q&A Upvotes

USD 429 / Coaching

Hi there,

congratulations on the offer. That’s a difficult question. I would recommend to:

  • Talk with HR in the MBB – I am sure they could help you to make a decision
  • Use paid or unpaid vacation with your current company rather than resign

Best,

Francesco

Hi there,

congratulations on the offer. That’s a difficult question. I would recommend to:

  • Talk with HR in the MBB – I am sure they could help you to make a decision
  • Use paid or unpaid vacation with your current company rather than resign

Best,

Francesco

Book a coaching with Robert

96% Recommendation Rate

317 Meetings

3,638 Q&A Upvotes

USD 219 / Coaching

Hi Anonymous,

Assuming that your current MBB job offer is the preferred option at the moment, I see the following general possibilities (obviously this can just be general advice, without knowing many more details about your specific situation):

  • Try to get more clarity by discussing your situation with your MBB HR contact via phone > for the moment I don't expect any additional information, but it's worth trying and listening between the lines
  • Arranging with your current job to negotiate notice period (if you can play it openly) and/or unpaid leave for the relevant period before your starting date

Hope this helps - if so, please be so kind and give it a thumbs-up with the green upvote button below!

Robert

Hi Anonymous,

Assuming that your current MBB job offer is the preferred option at the moment, I see the following general possibilities (obviously this can just be general advice, without knowing many more details about your specific situation):

  • Try to get more clarity by discussing your situation with your MBB HR contact via phone > for the moment I don't expect any additional information, but it's worth trying and listening between the lines
  • Arranging with your current job to negotiate notice period (if you can play it openly) and/or unpaid leave for the relevant period before your starting date

Hope this helps - if so, please be so kind and give it a thumbs-up with the green upvote button below!

Robert

Book a coaching with Luca

100% Recommendation Rate

41 Meetings

2,373 Q&A Upvotes

USD 189 / Coaching

Hello,

If you have already signed a contract (especially for a senior position) it's nearly impossible that they are gonna rescind your contract. I would anyway suggest to reach out to HR and ask for more information explaining your situation.

Best,
Luca

Hello,

If you have already signed a contract (especially for a senior position) it's nearly impossible that they are gonna rescind your contract. I would anyway suggest to reach out to HR and ask for more information explaining your situation.

Best,
Luca

Book a coaching with Ian

100% Recommendation Rate

185 Meetings

15,167 Q&A Upvotes

USD 289 / Coaching

Hi there,

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it - your start date could be pushed back again for all we know.

Rather, I would take leave, go into leave debt, AND take unpaid leave to do a long trip instead. It's a safer offer than quitting.

Hi there,

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it - your start date could be pushed back again for all we know.

Rather, I would take leave, go into leave debt, AND take unpaid leave to do a long trip instead. It's a safer offer than quitting.

Thanks for all the answers! I hadn't thought of unpaid leave. So the idea is that I would do an unpaid leave e.g. in Nov and Dec and will therefore be able to get the free time but at the same time be able to quit much later, right? — Anonymous A on Jun 23, 2020

Book a coaching with Clara

100% Recommendation Rate

50 Meetings

11,600 Q&A Upvotes

USD 229 / Coaching

Hello!

Congrats for the offer!

Honestly, it´s a difficult call. I found myself in a very very similar situation this year.

My advise would be to try to be "in the secure side". If you quit 3 months in advance to rest, and then the starting date gets posponed for months -which could be, and it´s atm happening-, you would find yourself in a terrible position.

Hence, I would shorten your 3 months period and try to get security from HR from the new company. They should be able to know something arround 10 weeks in advance.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Hello!

Congrats for the offer!

Honestly, it´s a difficult call. I found myself in a very very similar situation this year.

My advise would be to try to be "in the secure side". If you quit 3 months in advance to rest, and then the starting date gets posponed for months -which could be, and it´s atm happening-, you would find yourself in a terrible position.

Hence, I would shorten your 3 months period and try to get security from HR from the new company. They should be able to know something arround 10 weeks in advance.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Book a coaching with Gaurav

100% Recommendation Rate

194 Meetings

4,456 Q&A Upvotes

USD 189 / Coaching

Hi there,

The best way is to ask HR about your start date and quit from the current company.

I understand you would like to rest a little bit, but it seems that the situation is not good enough. Just use your paid vacation.

Do you need any further help?

All the best,

GB

Hi there,

The best way is to ask HR about your start date and quit from the current company.

I understand you would like to rest a little bit, but it seems that the situation is not good enough. Just use your paid vacation.

Do you need any further help?

All the best,

GB