Hello! I am looking for an effective math tool to improve my math. I am already using the free math tool from Cheng's website (the free one) and the one on preplounge. I heard about Fastmath Ace the case and the Cheng one you have to pay for. Any suggestions, reccomandations?
Effective math tool
Any of these tools are good: Preplounge Mental Math, V. Cheng, Mimir Math.
It's more about the skills. I recommend to concentrate on the following:
1) Learn how to multiply double digit numbers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndkkPZYJHo).
2) Learn how to work with zeros. You've mentioned - always use 10^power instead of zeros
300x9000 = 3*10ˆ2 x 9*10ˆ3=3x9*10ˆ(2+3)=27*10ˆ5
Handwritten it looks not that complicated. If you get used to writing all the numbers that way, you will never loose zeros and all multiplications/divisions will be replaced with + or -.
3) Learn the division table up to 1/11 (i.e. 5/6 = 83.3%). It will help you calculate any percentage problems
The best one I used for my preparation and the one I suggest for my students is Mental Math.
It has 3 advantages
- You choose level of difficulty
- You practice the weakest part of your math (e.g. multiplication)
- You may read useful tips, while practicing
Furthermore, it teaches you problem-solving: multiplication problems are shown to be solvable by breaking problems down into medium and easy level problems.
The link is below:
All the best,