I am preparing for an experienced hire final round interview for Deloitte Digital, in their Digital Business and Strategy group. I am wondering if there is anything in particular I should prepare for beyond their traditional case interviews that are typical to Strategy and Ops.
Are there any characteristics specific to Deloitte Digital cases?
Overview of answers
I have not personally had a Deloitte Digital Case, but couple of pointers in general for final round. For experienced hires top consulting firms want to see that you understand the industry with a bit more depth than students. In my experience - if you are able to make the interview a discussion, conversation - you will be successful. At this stage the basic HR questions are limited and it is more about giving you a case to work through but apart from basics look into:
1) Why are companies going Digital?
2) Do you have a few specific examples of new Technology being used?
3) Think about banking vs retail vs consulting industries - how and why is each one changing towards digital?
I prepare my experienced hires to run these cases as convesration - where you bounce ideas and discuss industry. Deloitte will want to know that they can put you on a project tomorrow and you will be credible with your client.
I do not have direct experience with Deloitte Digital, however in general the only difference you will find when interviewing for a specific practice is a higher likelihood of cases related to that business area. As for final rounds in general, one part which is usually neglected by candidates is the fit part: almost all the candidates who make to the final round are able to crack cases, therefore, unless you get very lucky with “competitors” unable to solve a case, the main decision will be based on how much the partners will like you. Although you do not have full control on the impression you will make, you have full control on the preparation on the top fit questions they ask. You can find below a short list of the most common ones:
- Tell me about yourself
- Why do you want to work for our company
- Tell me about a time when you failed
- What are your three top strengths and weaknesses
- Tell me about a time when your idea was criticized
- Which role do you play in a team
- Why should I hire you
In short, I would focus on two areas:
- Review of as many digital cases as you can find to develop business acumen
- In-depth review of traditional fit questions and in particular those in the previous list
Hope this helps,