Well, you are probably the one who can answer best ;)
It really depends on your current relationship with your ex. If it is a good relationship, go for it. If you didn’t talk in last several months, well… I would look for someone else.
If you know what to do, it is not very difficult to find another referral.
In general, you should follow three steps:
- Identify the people that can help you
- Write them a customized email
- Have a call and indirectly ask for a referral
As general tips:
- Don’t use LinkedIn for your communication – emails work better. You should target 30% conversion for your messages; if you are not achieving that, there is space for improvement.
- When sending emails, your goal should be to organize a call, not to ask questions – you can then use the call for the questions.
- You need to close the call with an indirect request for a referral – don’t leave that to chances. There are specific ways to ask to maximize your chances.
Before the call, you should have your CV and Cover ready – in this way you can send them right away it if the person wants to refer you.
If you are interested to know more on referrals, please feel free to PM me. I provide a 30 min session at 50% discount to understand the exact steps to get MBB referrals, directly from home – no events participation required.
This includes all the scripts needed for the email to send and the call to have with the consultant.
Following the same process, I managed to get 6 invitations out of 6 applications – including all MBB – and I regularly see my mentees getting referrals for MBB with that.