I used to be in your seats a few years ago, willing to enter the strategy consulting world. And when I was a candidate preparing for the interviews, I understood that the way to solve a case is most often industry-specific. A growth business case is not the same for a biotech company versus a bank, or a telecom company. To that end, mastering the ins and outs of every industry is key to shine during the interviews.
However, I was quite disappointed by the lack of resources available:
- Scattered data: There is no single source of truth per industry summarizing all the information needed to master a case
- Low quality of information: Quality of existing data on the internet or in the preparation books are often not sufficient
- Lack of industry insights: Some key industry insights are not always available e.g. industry key success factors and clients' key purchasing criteria
To that end, I have developed with Bilal, a BCG colleague, a comprehensive list of zooms for each industry, to shine and go the extra mile during the case cracking part of your interviews.
This guide is a list of deep dives covering most industries and sectors, that we tested and refined on many candidates to help you become more industry specific in your approach to solve any business case.
With Break Into Consulting: Industry overviews, you will master the ins and outs … :
- Industry trends
- Revenue streams and drivers
- Industry key success factors
- Customer key purchasing criteria
… of the 15 predominant industries you will face during interviews:
- Life science & Pharma
- Healthcare payers
- Entertainment & Media
- Banking & Financial services
- Private equity & Venture Capital
- Oil & Gas
Written in plain English, this guide will help you bring your case solving skills to the next level.