I have learned that working hours at MBB vary between geographies and projects. As regards Germany, I was wondering the following:
- Is it really true that for a project the average working hours per day are from 8 am to 23 pm? And I guess travelling is excluded, meaning at 23 pm you are not in the hotel ready for sleep.
- If I think about it, I could see that there might be some intensive days before a deadline, but I hardly can imagine that one works "every" day on average these hours. How can someone physically and mentally bear this over a longer time?
- What are the industries and business functions in Germany that are most intensive?
- Is there a difference in working hours between offices in Germany?
- Can one expect that there are plenty of projects in the city where one's office is located so that one has the option to sleep every night at home?
- I am asking because I have a wife and soon a child and I want to combine my dream job and personal life. If I were to have some time to do little sport that would be nice as well
- Would you recommend starting off with a project that is close to home in order to see how one can manage project and family?
- Can you tell your engagement manager that you would like to continue working from, e.g., 6 pm from home or the hotel during the week so that one has a chance to see his/her family at the same time if the family is around?
- Of course, work duties need to be fulfilled, but the client is not necessarily around after 6 pm so it should not matter where one does the job.
- What recommendations can you give to communicate your priorities to your engagement manager and team without the risk of experiencing repercussions?