should I give up a promising lead to wait for Mckinsey interviews outcome?

career choice jobs mckinsey 1st round interview
New answer on Oct 24, 2022
6 Answers
258 Views
Anonymous A asked on Oct 10, 2022

Updated 11/10

I passed Mckinsey round 1 :) i've got very good feedbacks basically i just need to calm down when math is cracking nerves and do not hesitate to ask for more time to think…

They came back to me after my email explaining my situation…

The game is back on

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Community

I'm in sort of a predicament and would love to hear your opinions.

I had my first round of interviews with Mckinsey for an associate role in PEPI practice last Friday (Paris office), the first case was a disaster but the second case + both of the PEI were quite good. I spent the weekend feeling may this is it, my journey with Mckinsey ended here, especially after reading many comments saying one imperfect case kills your chances here on preplounge. (but deep down not totally gave up hope you know)

The thing is, my other lead progressed very well, it's also in the Private Equity space, but it's an Investor Relations manager role, the work itself is not exciting at all, and they say once in IR you can never go back to Investment. But the fund is growing exponentially in the past two years & will continue so in foreseeable future,so this role is expected to evolve quickly into the fundraising/business dev space, with more client facing kind of work. Money is very good, much better than Mckinsey. The shop enjoys high prestige in Paris as well.

They pressed me to go to the last interview with the person I'm going to replace- (this Friday!!), and I know that they will rush me to make a decision. 

But I have no news about my Mckinsey interviews… I tried to call the recruiter but she is not available. 

In a scenario where I have passed the 3rd interview with the PE this Friday and they want me to make a decision next week, but on Mckinsey side it's either still radio silence or a 2nd round scheduled in 2 weeks, I will have to make a very tough decision…

In the event that Mckinsey rejects me, all my problems can be solved though. Not a scenario I'd prefer but very likely lol

Now sincerely do not know what to do or to think, any comments are welcome.

Thank you for bearing with me..

 

(edited)

Overview of answers

Upvotes
  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best answer
Emily
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Oct 10, 2022
Ex McKinsey EM & interviewer (5 yrs) USA & UK| Coached / interviewed 200 +|Free 15 min intro| Stanford MBA|Non-trad

Congratulations on things going well with the PE side! McKinsey will hurry along when they know that you're under a time pressure. Message the recruiter and tell them that you have an offer that's about to expire (give the date). Tell them that you've done all that you can to push the due date back but that you can't go any further. McKinsey is your first choice and you'd love it if you could know an outcome by the date the offer expires. 

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on Oct 10, 2022

Thank you for your reply Emily!

Dennis
Expert
replied on Oct 10, 2022
Seasoned project leader with 7+ years of consulting and recruiting experience in USA and Europe

Hi there,

I can imagine that this is a pretty stressful situation to be in. 

It sounds like right now, you have no confirmed offer from either company yet. So in the worst case scenario, both opportunities might fall through. I would therefore not get too distracted about “Step 3” if you have not yet completed “Step 1” (metaphorically speaking). 

  • Stay focused on the upcoming PE interview and do everything you can to make sure you get that offer
  • When you do, there are a few interactions that will naturally buy you some time:
    • Waiting for the verbal offer after the interview
    • Receiving the written offer in the mail
    • Reading the offer and clarifying open questions with HR (potentially amending the contract somewhat)
    • Signing the offer (if you so choose)
  • In the meantime, McK should give you some feedback so you have better clarity 
  • In case you don't have an offer from McK before your other offer is in jeopardy of expiry, I would personally not take the gamble of potentially ending up empty-handed

Ultimately it depends on what your key priorities are. If consulting really was the pathway you wanted to pursue, I'd assume you would have applied to all of MBB and potentially also tier 2 consulting firms by now so that you wouldn't solely hinge on McK. But if a McK rejection were to put you back to square one, I'd say going with the PE option is a no-brainer.

I hope this was helpful 

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on Oct 10, 2022

Thank you very much for your reply. as a matter of fact, Mckinsey is the only management consulting firm I applied for. I have other demanding engagements so did not want to apply for a bunch of them then drown in stress. I'm no longer a 20 something single youngster :) I have two young toddlers, a busy full time job and my partner also works full time. The PE company approached me by a headhunter. I tried to contact my recruiter but both she and her backup are out of office (what an unfortunate timing for me..) I think I will do all the things you said, trying to delay as possible as I can then only make a decision when I absolutely have to... in the worst scenario where I have neither of the offers, I think I will start over by applying for other mgt consulting firms. Back to square one.

Cristian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Oct 19, 2022
#1 McK Coach by rating & recommendation rate| Honest feedback: no sugar-coating | Success stories ➨ tinyurl.com/43rkxa8f

Hi there, 

My recommendation would be to reach out to McKinsey and present to them the conflicting timelines. They will most likely rush the process to accommodate you. 

Best,

Cristian

Was this answer helpful?
Ian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Oct 11, 2022
MBB | 100% personal interview success rate (8/8) and 95% candidate success rate | Personalized interview prep

Hi there,

1 bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush…

Why give up a final round with a firm when you don't even have an offer from the other?

It's a really clear decision here! Process with those interviews.

The worst case scenario is that you have an offer from them and decide to reject it…2 weeks from now.

But, you should absolutely proceed with the interview and see where it goes. You can always:

1) Ask them for more time in deciding and

2) Ask McKinsey to accelerate the process

What you're doing is the definition of counting your chickens before they hatch!

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on Oct 11, 2022

Thank you Ian! After calming down I do realize now that I freaked out a bit too early lol

Francesco
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Oct 11, 2022
#1 Coach for Sessions (4.000+) | 1.500+ 5-Star Reviews | Proven Success (➡ InterviewOffers.com) | Ex BCG | 9Y+ Coaching

Hi there,

Q: Should I give up a promising lead to wait for the Mckinsey interview outcome?

It seems you have no offers right now. Definitely don’t reject any interview or offer while waiting for a possible next step from McKinsey – there is no reason to do so.

In your current situation, you could:

  • Ask the PE to postpone the interview, or
  • Act once you get the PE offer, if needed

If you get the PE offer, you have 2 options:

  • Ask for more time to think and reach out to McKinsey then. At that stage, you will have leverage to accelerate things as you got another offer
  • Sign with the PE  firm and withdraw if you get the McKinsey offer. Not ideal, but could be the only alternative if you don’t manage to postpone the deadline

Good luck!

Francesco

Was this answer helpful?
Pedro
Expert
replied on Oct 24, 2022
Bain | EY-Parthenon | Roland Berger |Former Head Recruiter | Market Sizing

If you get the job, it's great. You don't have to decide until you have the results of all recruiting processes. So just ask Mckinsey to speed up the process to make sure the timelines are as much aligned as possible.

Was this answer helpful?
Emily gave the best answer

Emily

Content Creator
Ex McKinsey EM & interviewer (5 yrs) USA & UK| Coached / interviewed 200 +|Free 15 min intro| Stanford MBA|Non-trad
60
Meetings
1,622
Q&A Upvotes
11
Awards
5.0
29 Reviews