Oliver Wyman Offer and Mckinsey interviews within a month

BCG Bain McKinsey BCG McKinsey and Bain Job offer offer Oliver Wyman
New answer on Jun 09, 2020
6 Answers
1.5 k Views
Anonymous A asked on May 31, 2020

I got a final offer from OW that I have two weeks to reach a final signature and I am really interested to work with OW and love the company and its culture so far. But, I have interviews lined up for BCG and McK during July and I honestly feel more excited to them as an MBB.

Especially that they are a Tier 1 company and offer a stronger global presence and stronger name on the market for me.

If we think with:

1-2 year span with an MBB, Especially McK would bring me a greater value and a stronger presence in the market.

What I am thinking now is to accept the offer with OW and undergo the interviews with BCG and McK and if an offer is received from them to think it through and then if I decided to accept BCG or McK and tell OW that I will not be joining them?

Do you think that this withdrawal from the OW offer is a really bad move? I signed it because at this time with COVID-19 offers are really valuable and provide a source of relief that you got something especially that I graduated recently.

Overview of answers

Upvotes
  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best answer
Ian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Jun 01, 2020
BCG | 100% personal interview success rate (8/8) and 95% candidate success rate | Personalized interview prep

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations...you have an enviable choice in front of you (not many people get even this far)!

Second, I recommend the following:

  1. Ask OW if you could delay signing by a month - confirm that if they can't you're happy to sign (make sure 100% they won't pull the offer from you)
  2. #1 has a low chance of success, so if it fails, sign the offer
  3. Interview with BCG + McK
  4. If you get an offer, then re-evaluate and make a decision as to whether you'd like to leave (you may realize you love OW and don't want to go, who knows!)
Was this answer helpful?
Anton
Expert
replied on May 31, 2020
FREE 1st session in November | From Lawyer to MBB | Top in FIT | 10x your structuring skills | Message to get Free Prep Checklist

Hi,

You should definitely accept the OW offer.

1) YOUR MARKET POSITIONING

They are strongly positioned in the market, especially in Financial Services and Retails. OW would help you to get the right positioning for your career at MBB.

2) YOUR SKILLSET

This is a great opportunity to use OW experience to understand your weaknesses that are critical for your career at MBB. E.g. financial modeling, attention to details, etc.

3) YOUR NETWORK

OW will significantly extend your framework and you will be able to get stronger referrals for MBB.

Best,

Anton

Was this answer helpful?
A
Expert
updated an answer on May 31, 2020
Experienced strategy consultant

Hi,

I would suggest the following actions for you:

  1. Accept the OW offer
  2. Interview with the MBB
  3. If you got accepted to MBB then you have 2 choices a) Accept MBB offer, tell OW you won't join or if you have started just resign or b) Accept MBB offer, ask for a very late start date and work in OW first, if anything working in OW will allow you familiar to consulting work and help with your adaptation to MBB
  4. Of course most likely you will be blacklisted by OW but if you got MBB that should not be a problem anymore

If you do not get MBB then you can continue to work in OW, they are reputable company and really respected in the financial services sector

(edited)

Was this answer helpful?
7
Clara
Expert
Content Creator
replied on May 31, 2020
McKinsey | Awarded professor at Master in Management @ IE | MBA at MIT |+180 students coached | Integrated FIT Guide aut

Hello!

Congrats on those offers!

At the moment, there is nothing to be chosen:

  1. Accept the offer from OW. Now you have this secured.
  2. Interview with MBB -as soon as possible-.
  3. In case you get an offer from one of the MBB firms, you are in the wonderful and lucky position to choose -and maybe bargain location, etc.-
  4. If you don´t get an offer, you will have gained valuable interviewing experience and you will go and work happily for OW

No downside at all!

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Was this answer helpful?
Tan
Expert
Content Creator
replied on May 31, 2020
Ex BCG | 4+ years experience as interviewer

Hi,

Congrats on the OW offer! It is not easy to get it during this uncharted situation.

I would agree that you should take the offer. You can still interview with MBB and see how it goes. Although in the event if you get the MBB offer, it could feel awkward/bad to withdraw from OW, but having the option solid in your pocket is better than taking the risk of not getting an offer in the end.

Hope it helps,

Emily

Was this answer helpful?
6
Anonymous A on May 31, 2020

Do you think that asking OW for another month to decide their offer would risk me not getting the job?

Anonymous replied on Jun 09, 2020

Dear A,

My congratulations to your offer in Oliver Wyman! This is great achievement. Anyway, you're already on the safe side.

Yes, your move is absolutely logical and if I were you, I would do the same. You can actually also ask Oliver Wyman to give you2 months extention to finalise your interviews. If that's not possible then signed it and send it back then do as planned.

In a good case, if you get an offer from McKinsey, BCG or both you will not need another offer from Oliver Wyman in your career, so don't be worry and simply get prepared for the interviews. And reach out, of you need any help.

Good luck,

André

Was this answer helpful?
0
Ian gave the best answer

Ian

Content Creator
BCG | 100% personal interview success rate (8/8) and 95% candidate success rate | Personalized interview prep
451
Meetings
38,656
Q&A Upvotes
93
Awards
71 Reviews