Hi guys! In order to gain more confidence, I would like to focus besides case training also on soft skill trainings. Can anybody recommend me what I could do? Join toastmasters or which other activities can develop my soft skills, such as presentation and communication skills and confidence in general? Any advice is appreciated!
Important soft skills as MBB consultant
You are asking an important question as soft skills can make a difference. While they don’t count as much as much the actual interview, soft skills come into play on two, sometimes three different occasions:
- Firm presentations: Both before and after firm presentations, there will be consultants and recruiters commingling with candidates.
- Interviews: There will be a few minutes before the interview begins where your soft skills can set the tone of the interview.
- Team exercises (optional for some firms): Some firms have 4-6 candidates work on a group case exercise and soft skills play a big part where elements like empathy, listening, presence, teamwork and influencing are assessed.
You can improve your soft skills just about anywhere you interact with others, whether it’s one-on-one ore in a large group. Here are few to get you started:
- School team / group meetings
- School organizations
- School orientation / admission events
- Recruiting events / firm presentations
- Case interview practice partners
- Networking events (e.g., Network After Work, Alumni events)
- Toastmaster’s International Meetings
- Meetup groups (https://www.meetup.com/)
- Volunteer work (especially with younger groups)
- Political / religious organizations (if you are so inclined)
- Mentor sessions
based on my experience, the single most effective way to improve soft skills is an internship/job experience in sales, ideally related to SME and/or a startup (which involves lot of interactions and pretty direct sales process). Additional elements I personally found useful are:
- Present whenever possible in front of a group of people (depending on what you do now, that may range from a university class to work related presentations)
- Theater/ voice training
- Specific training classes on communication
Completely agree with Francesco.
If you have time I suggest to hire a coach in:
- Communication - check the universities around. Many of them have "Art of communication" course. Ther you'll get all the theory and practice various types of speeches
- Sales - there are lots of personal selling training. I recommend finding the most reputable in your city. It's definitely worth it
- Voice (if it is not loud / articulate). Basically, a good singing coach can improve the voice
Related BootCamp article(s)
LubricantsCo, a very successful Asian premium producer of lubricants in their native region, would like to further increase their revenue and profit. The product range ranges from lubricants in the automotive sector (e.g. motor and gear oil) to industrial applications (e.g. fats, heavy-duty oils). ... Open whole case
You have inherited the “Old Winery” from your grandfather, a winery which has been family owned for five generations and can be dated back to the 16th century. Half of the eleven hectares are used to grow white grapes, the other half to grow red grapes. They are grown in the conventional way, i.e ... Open whole case
Tell me of a situation where you had an opinion and no one seemed to agree with you. What was your goal when you decided to join university / work / clubs / a sports team? Did you have a goal that you were not able to reach? What did you do? What do you want to be remembered for and how are ... Open whole case
Tell me about a difficult situation you had to cope with. Tell me of a task which you didn’t like doing and explain why you performed it nevertheless. Why do you do things? What do you like doing most / What is your favorite hobby? Walk me through a situation where you showed leadership s ... Open whole case
What arouses your interest when you are working / studying / doing another activity (from the CV)? Tell me of a time where you had no idea what you were doing. When did you use an uncommon approach to do something? Have you ever had responsibility for other people? Tell me of a situation ... Open whole case