How would you answer this question in your Personal Fit interview? Receive feedback on your answer and browse through the Q&As to review the approaches of other applicants and experts.
Give me an example of a time that you have led a group to achieve a difficult goal!
To answer your question directly: Your interviewer expects that you provide very concrete and clear examples of leadership in a difficult situation to show. So here's what you need to do:
- Think of an example that truly demonstrates you taking leadership. An example where you ran a team successfully to a specific goal or through a difficult challenge. The interviewer does not want to hear that you've been in a leadership position, but instead that you have evidence of being an effective leader. So, saying you were responsible for a large team is not good enough because you may not have been very good at it :). But explaining that you led that large team to deliver a multi-month project through major challenges is impressive. And be sure to highlight what the challenges are. Which brings me to...
- Summarise at a high-level
- who you led
- what you led them to do
- what was difficult about it
- what you did to be successful
- Bonus: what about you specifically made it successful (e.g. your confidence, tenacity, etc.)
- And then be prepared to go into detail with your interviewer:
- Explain what you did, said, and thought. Remember, this is not about your team, it is about you so get comfortable using words like "I did...", "I said...", "I figured out that...", etc.
- Describe specific difficult moments and how you overcame it (again, it's all about what you did)
- Explain any planning you did beforehand and why
- Share and celebrate the outcome (which should be positive) and maybe any learnings or things you would do better.
All the best!
This past semester I was involved in a group task for one of my final year courses. We had to create a strategy to solve the sanitary dignity problem in South Africa. As a female, this issue is close to my heart but it was difficult to get input from my male colleagues. I took the position of team lead and was able to get the boys in my team to contribute in a way that they were comfortable with but that also allowed them to engage and appreciate the cause at hand. Our final project is something the team was very proud of.
I had this chance many times in mylife but the most i can remember was during our annual concert for the scout group it s a concert that we do every year on Xmas where we invite an orphonage and give them out of our time with the presence of people who paid tickets for us to be able to make this concert give money for the orphonage and get presents for those children it was an event of 700 people and a TV covarge and the scout group with 200 member it was challangig enough for me and i was able to make this year's event one of the best for years
A project where I led an initiative to accomplish given set of asks from 6 department heads