I'm an experienced tier 2 consultant (2.25 years), trying to move into MBB. I've networked quite a bit and outperformed at my current position, that I believe I have a high chance of securing an interview. The last cover letter I wrote was in college, where I emphasized my interest in consulting. I'm writing my present cover letter to address the quaetion ' Why M/B/B?,' but I'd like to get any tips or pointers from the community on the experienced consultant cover letter. Please feel free to share any tips. Thank you.
Experienced Consultant Cover Letter
In terms of the structure I would use the following (in paragraphs):
- Intro of who you are
- Why you (several reasons)
- Why "The Company" (Usually 3 reasons)
In terms of the content:
Why you is about your career path and extracurricular activities. Depending on your experiences either start from the first or from the last role (the later you are in your career the more sense it is to start with last one). You can mention a couple of your unique selling point and structure your lifepath around it. Add memorable projects or experience with high impact / cool brands / etc. that will stay in the memory of the reader.
Why "The Company" question can include the following arguments:
- Brand / positioning / market share in the region
- More clients / projects / expertise in the industry you are interested in
- More well-known stories of success in your city
- Your friends working there
- Your interactions with the other consultants before the interview
- Your prior experience of working with the Firm on a client side
- Office traditions
- Work experience with firm alumni
Overall, the message doesn't change too much - and cover letter will be much less important than your CV - and if you manage to secure interviews through networking, your Cover Letter may never even be read at all. However, you should still have your reasons for switching very clear, as you may then be challenged during actual interviews for why you want to switch.
A couple specific comments on the Cover letter:
- Your "why consulting" points should be more informed based on your actual experience in the industry
- Your "why firm" section needs to be strong - really focus on what M/B/B offers that fits your ambition and goals. You should not focus on "why not my current firm"
I too joined consulting as an experienced hire.
As usual in cover letter you'll have to cover the classical :
- introduce yourself
- why you
- why consulting and specifically the firm your appliying for
The key for you is to insist on the latter topic. Since this is not your first job, we expect you to have a more mature vision of your carreer and you need to explain why you decide to make this move now, how your past experience is relevant, and how you project yourslef in this new environment.
Hope this helps