thanks a lot for the question. :)
First of all congratulation for your big ambition and determination. They will pay off for sure!
As far as I understood, your main objective is to obtain a job offer in MBB. I would suggest to remain in Big 4 firm and actively start to apply for strategic consulting roles in boutique or MBB.
Let's evaluate together the 2 potential scenarios that you may have ahead:
1) Accept the offer to join a F500 company
- Pros: 1) Experience in corporate strategy, useful to make your profile better aligned to strategic roles 2) Better understanding if strategic roles can be interesting for you 3) Network with people previously working in MBB
- Cons: 1) Low motivation for the job since you already know that you will leave it 2) Difference between corporate strategy and strategic consulting (e.g., more practical, no client facing, working for same “client”) 3) Higher difficulty to learn MBB consulting job at a more senior level when you will join 4) Leave the consulting world (even if not strategic consulting) that you like 5) Experience in strategic consulting is best suited at the beginning of your career
2) Remain in Big 4 firm and actively start to apply for strategic consulting roles in boutiques or MBB (change within maximum 1 year)
- Pros: 1) Work in a motivating environment and acquire more experience in tech 2) Round profile and possibility to enter as a tech specialist in strategic consulting 3) Time to optimise preparation for business cases 4) MBB generally have interests for profiles with different backgrounds but with some core skills (e.g., problem solving, determination, clear communication, ownership)
- Cons: 1) Current profile not so much aligned to strategic consulting (not big issue)
As you can see I can find more Cons than Pros in Scenario 1. Even if It would have been better to start since the beginning with a strategic role, at the present moment I would advice the second option.
In particular, I would suggest to take the following 4 key steps before applying for MBB:
- Review your CV underlining the core competences in your past projects that MBB are looking for
- Prepare for strategic consulting interviews with a strong focus on business cases
- Create some network with people already working (LinkedIn is extremely useful)
- Apply before to your second options (i.e., boutiques) in order to get used to the strategic consulting interview format
To conclude, choosing option 2 gives you greater flexibility. You can get first specific feedbacks from MBB or boutiques. In case they will told you that your profile is not aligned given your work experience (I don't think so), you can better tailor it accordingly.
Do not hesitate to reach out me in case of further questions! I am currently offering a free coaching session.