Asking for a final decision

Decision Round
New answer on May 07, 2021
6 Answers
493 Views
Anonymous A asked on May 06, 2021

Dear All,

I am in the late stage of a MBB position, I just got another offer which requires me to respond in a few days. They are both very good positions but I'm more interested in the MBB role. I want to let the HR know the time pressure. Would you be able to provide some advices on how to approach this? Should I just tell them I have another offer due on this date and it would be appreciated if they could get back to me by then?

Thank you!

Overview of answers

Upvotes
  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best answer
Florian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on May 07, 2021
#1 rated McKinsey Coach | Top MBB Coach | 5 years @ McKinsey | Author of the 1% | 120+ McK offers in 18 months

Hi there,

No need to make it complicated. Just call HR and inform them of your situation and they will try to accommodate it. These things happen on a daily basis for them..

Cheers,

Florian

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on May 10, 2021

Thank you!

Ian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on May 06, 2021
MBB | 100% personal interview success rate (8/8) and 95% candidate success rate | Personalized interview prep

Hi there,

This is something for which you can definitely reach out to HR. You need to do two things:

1) Write to the HR of the offering firm and ask if they can extend your decision time by a few days. Say you like to make sure you're the type of person that just likes to be sure of their decision, so prefer a bit more time.

2) Write to the MBB HR and let them know you've received a time-sensitive offer. Reassure them that they are your top choice and you would take them over the other company.

Note, by doing #2 you are losing your negotiating leverage. However, it's worth it in this case.

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on May 10, 2021

Thank you!

Francesco
Expert
Content Creator
replied on May 07, 2021
#1 Coach for Sessions (4.000+) | 1.500+ 5-Star Reviews | Proven Success (➡ InterviewOffers.com) | Ex BCG | 9Y+ Coaching

Hi there,

I was exactly in your shoes ;) In my case I had an offer from OW. I called the BCG HR recruiter and they managed to schedule all the interviews in 4 days.

Thus:

  1. Definitely call HR (better than writing an email), they will let you know if it is possible to anticipate the interview
  2. If that doesn’t work, you can ask the company that made the first offer for more time.
  3. If that doesn’t work, your only option is to sign with the first company and complete the process later on with the other if that is more interesting for you. If you get a better offer and you are fine with that, you can then switch. Not ideal but there is no sense in rejecting an offer hoping to land one in the future.

Best,

Francesco

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on May 10, 2021

Thank you!

Clara
Expert
Content Creator
replied on May 07, 2021
McKinsey | Awarded professor at Master in Management @ IE | MBA at MIT |+180 students coached | Integrated FIT Guide aut

Hello!

Congratulations!

First of all, don´t worry too much about this. It´s a situation that makes one very very nervous, but it´s rather common! HR people are very used to this situations, they happen all the time.

Phrase it precisely as here: I need to give a response in X days, but my clear preference is this firm. Hence, I would really be most grateful if you can accelerate the process, so I could have an answer from the process before I have to give a final answer to the other company.

Furthermore important, don´t do it via email, in person or call it´s much easier to find empathy and solutions.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on May 10, 2021

Thank you!

Allen
Expert
replied on May 06, 2021
Ex-McK Experienced Hire and EM - I show you how to perform at your best

This is a common occurence. HR is used to it and will be sensitive to it, meaning they will try to move quickly if possible so they don't lose you. If you are already in "late stages," it means they are seriously considering you already, and don't want to waste their efforts to this point either.

Just be up front with the recruiter and politely ask for accomodation, if possilble.

Hope this helps,

Allen

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on May 10, 2021

Thank you!

Adi
Expert
Content Creator
replied on May 06, 2021
Accenture, Deloitte | Precision Case Prep | Experienced Interviewer & Career Coach | 15 years professional experience

Hey,

Consider the following options:

  1. Request the company that gave you an offer for more time (perhaps 2 weeks). This way you wont have to chase the MBB firm & hopefully they get back to you soon with the final answer. Dont lie, just request for more time to work out the offer
  2. Go back to the MBB firm and tell them you have another offer and are under time pressure to respond. But you are very keen to work for them. Am sure they will understand and are used to this and also shows you are demand. Gain some sympathy by highlighting the risk if you were to wait. And ask for their view on how long will it take for the final decision? Put some pressure depending on their answer. Be polite and not pushy
  3. Worst case if you struggle to get any cooperation from both firms, then you could say Yes to firm that offered and pull out once MBB gets back. Not ideal but this is worst case option

Congrats and all the best.

Was this answer helpful?
Anonymous A on May 10, 2021

Thank you!

Florian gave the best answer

Florian

Content Creator
#1 rated McKinsey Coach | Top MBB Coach | 5 years @ McKinsey | Author of the 1% | 120+ McK offers in 18 months
922
Meetings
15,509
Q&A Upvotes
92
Awards
5.0
411 Reviews