Cookie and Privacy Settings

This website uses cookies to enable essential functions like the user login and sessions. We also use cookies and third-party tools to improve your surfing experience on preplounge.com. You can choose to activate only essential cookies or all cookies. You can always change your preference in the cookie and privacy settings. This link can also be found in the footer of the site. If you need more information, please visit our privacy policy.

Data processing in the USA: By clicking on "I accept", you also consent, in accordance with article 49 paragraph 1 sentence 1 lit. GDPR, to your data being processed in the USA (by Google LLC, Facebook Inc., LinkedIn Inc., Stripe, Paypal).

Manage settings individually I accept
expert
Expert with best answer

Guennael

99% Recommendation Rate

284 Meetings

1,400 Q&A Upvotes

USD 319 / Coaching

3

Would BCG defer an offer for a year or more?

Hey guys,

I'm in a conflicting position with a banking offer I have currently and the BCG Associate interview process. I am excited to have recieved the BCG interview and intend on going through with the process regardless of what happens. However, my first round with BCG is not for another couple of weeks. I attempted to extend the decision deadline for my banking role, and they agreed but it is still not enough time.

I don't want to decline the banking offer, since BCG's interviews are obviously difficult and I am not guaranteed an offer there. The banking gig is great and would add a lot of skills and value to my career. My question then is, IF given an offer- would I be able to defer the offer for a year or more? I would not feel comfortable reneging on my current offer so I would rather defer and commit to starting at a later date. Is this something BCG would do? Perhaps adding a years' worth of banking experience under my belt would help my case as well.

Hey guys,

I'm in a conflicting position with a banking offer I have currently and the BCG Associate interview process. I am excited to have recieved the BCG interview and intend on going through with the process regardless of what happens. However, my first round with BCG is not for another couple of weeks. I attempted to extend the decision deadline for my banking role, and they agreed but it is still not enough time.

I don't want to decline the banking offer, since BCG's interviews are obviously difficult and I am not guaranteed an offer there. The banking gig is great and would add a lot of skills and value to my career. My question then is, IF given an offer- would I be able to defer the offer for a year or more? I would not feel comfortable reneging on my current offer so I would rather defer and commit to starting at a later date. Is this something BCG would do? Perhaps adding a years' worth of banking experience under my belt would help my case as well.

(edited)

3 answers

  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best Answer
Book a coaching with Guennael

99% Recommendation Rate

284 Meetings

1,400 Q&A Upvotes

USD 319 / Coaching

BCG 'may' agree to an extension, though that's not guaranteed. Note that they did feel comfortable asking me to defer my acceptance by a year a while back, so part of me would like it if you turned the table on them, ha!

Do the BCG interviews. If you do get the offer, great - but remember that statistically, you won't. Meanwhile, I suggest you accept the banking offer since that's the only job you have at the moment.

Let's assume for a moment you work in banking and now receive the offer. What to do, what to do? Yes, the experience & expertise you would develop in (investment?) banking - but that is also true to consulting. Could you get experience in both? Many people do that, typically starting IB after undergrad and MBB after MBA; the reverse can also happen, though not nearly as often (you are more likely to do MBB/Private Equity).

Ultimately, you need to decide what you really would like to do in the future. IB probably still has the edge for investment/M&A jobs, but MBB will open more doors in general - especially if you stay more than a couple of years.

I sincerely hope you get to actually face the problem. For now though, fI suggest you ocus on preparing your 1st round and don't think too far in the future. Good luck

BCG 'may' agree to an extension, though that's not guaranteed. Note that they did feel comfortable asking me to defer my acceptance by a year a while back, so part of me would like it if you turned the table on them, ha!

Do the BCG interviews. If you do get the offer, great - but remember that statistically, you won't. Meanwhile, I suggest you accept the banking offer since that's the only job you have at the moment.

Let's assume for a moment you work in banking and now receive the offer. What to do, what to do? Yes, the experience & expertise you would develop in (investment?) banking - but that is also true to consulting. Could you get experience in both? Many people do that, typically starting IB after undergrad and MBB after MBA; the reverse can also happen, though not nearly as often (you are more likely to do MBB/Private Equity).

Ultimately, you need to decide what you really would like to do in the future. IB probably still has the edge for investment/M&A jobs, but MBB will open more doors in general - especially if you stay more than a couple of years.

I sincerely hope you get to actually face the problem. For now though, fI suggest you ocus on preparing your 1st round and don't think too far in the future. Good luck

It is not guaranteed - but I know someone who did almost exactly what you are doing. He got an offer from BCG and from a major bank. He wanted some banking experience as he thought it would be helpful, so he deferred his BCG offer by a year and worked at the Bank, quit after 12 months, and started at BCG. So it is definitely possible. Once you get the offer, discuss with HR the opportunity to defer. I think BCG will also see the value that a year in banking will give you.

It is not guaranteed - but I know someone who did almost exactly what you are doing. He got an offer from BCG and from a major bank. He wanted some banking experience as he thought it would be helpful, so he deferred his BCG offer by a year and worked at the Bank, quit after 12 months, and started at BCG. So it is definitely possible. Once you get the offer, discuss with HR the opportunity to defer. I think BCG will also see the value that a year in banking will give you.

(edited)

Book a coaching with Vlad

98% Recommendation Rate

413 Meetings

11,464 Q&A Upvotes

USD 239 / Coaching

Hi,

I would not rely on that. BCG could defer an offer if it was related to education. But you are basically going to work for a different company. You can try to push the BCG interviews a bit closer to the date by telling them that you have a deadline with another offer.

Best

Hi,

I would not rely on that. BCG could defer an offer if it was related to education. But you are basically going to work for a different company. You can try to push the BCG interviews a bit closer to the date by telling them that you have a deadline with another offer.

Best

Related case(s)

BCG Questions

Solved 27.7k times
BCG Questions What arouses your interest when you are working / studying / doing another activity (from the CV)? Tell me of a time where you had no idea what you were doing. When did you use an uncommon approach to do something? Have you ever had responsibility for other people? Tell me of a situation where you were not the official leader.
4.5 5 213
| Rating: (4.5 / 5.0) |
Difficulty: Intermediate | Style: Fit Interview | Topics: Personal fit

What arouses your interest when you are working / studying / doing another activity (from the CV)? Tell me of a time where you had no idea what you were doing. When did you use an uncommon approach to do something? Have you ever had responsibility for other people? Tell me of a situation where ... Open whole case

MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education

Solved 18.6k times
MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvantaged areas. The client is considering starting operations for its services in the Chicago area. They hired us to understand if that makes sense. Due to the nonprofit regulation, SmartBridge should operate on its own in the market, without any partnership. How would you help our client?
4.6 5 649
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvant ... Open whole case

Espresso, Whatelse?

Solved 11.2k times
Espresso, Whatelse? Espresso Whatelse is an Italian company that produces coffee and espresso machines since 1908. It is the Italian market leader and has a strong presence overall in Europe. In 2019, Espresso Whatelse has increased its revenues but it has seen declining profit margin. Your client wants to understand the root causes of this 2019 trend and how to increase its profit margin again.  
4.6 5 560
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Espresso Whatelse is an Italian company that produces coffee and espresso machines since 1908. It is the Italian market leader and has a strong presence overall in Europe. In 2019, Espresso Whatelse has increased its revenues but it has seen declining profit margin. Your client wants to understand ... Open whole case

Hot Wheels

Solved 5.8k times
Hot Wheels Problem definition: Our client is Korean Car Parts (KCP), a multi-national original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of car parts based in Korea. They've recently seen a decline in profits and have brought us in to understand how to address this falling profitability.
4.6 5 305
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Problem definition: Our client is Korean Car Parts (KCP), a multi-national original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of car parts based in Korea. They've recently seen a decline in profits and have brought us in to understand how to address this falling profitability. Open whole case

MBB Case – Consulting a Government

Solved 5.0k times
MBB Case – Consulting a Government Our client is the government of an imaginary country which is suffering from strong protests and riots by its own population. The client would like to understand the reason for these protests. In a second step, the client wants you to make suggestions for improvement to end these protests. In answering those two questions, what factors would you consider in making your potential recommendation?  
4.5 5 226
| Rating: (4.5 / 5.0)

Our client is the government of an imaginary country which is suffering from strong protests and riots by its own population. The client would like to understand the reason for these protests. In a second step, the client wants you to make suggestions for improvement to end these protests. In answer ... Open whole case