I recently read the question somewhere and it made me think... what do you learn from the consulting job? What would you say?
What can you learn from being a consultant?
here is a list of the main things you may learn as a consultant:
- Solve complex problems. You will learn how to find appropriate solutions for complex issues, even in areas you are not familiar with, using a defined structured approach.
- Develop great communication skills. You will learn how to communicate properly with everyone in a company from new hires to C-levels.
- Acquire knowledge of multiple industries. You will learn insider aspects of several industries in a very short period of time.
- Reach challenging goals with a set time frame. You will learn how to respect apparently impossible deadlines and achieve the objectives required.
- Become a team player. You will learn how to have a team-based mentality, as your job as a consultant will be strongly influenced by your team performance.
- Master Excel and Power Point. You will learn how to become a lot faster and proficient with these tools than the average user.
- Prioritize activities. You will learn how to become 80-20...or alternatively how to sleep very few hours ;). As a consultant, you will always have more things to do than the ones achievable in a certain time frame, hence you will have to constantly decide what to give priority to.
Hope this helps,
Our experts are (former) consultants, who can help you with your case interview preparation and landing your dream job in consulting. They take an hour of their time for you and are a valuable investment in your career.