I recently read the question somewhere and it made me think... what do you learn from the consulting job? What would you say?
What can you learn from being a consultant?
here is a list of the main things you may learn as a consultant:
- Solve complex problems. You will learn how to find appropriate solutions for complex issues, even in areas you are not familiar with, using a defined structured approach.
- Develop great communication skills. You will learn how to communicate properly with everyone in a company from new hires to C-levels.
- Acquire knowledge of multiple industries. You will learn insider aspects of several industries in a very short period of time.
- Reach challenging goals with a set time frame. You will learn how to respect apparently impossible deadlines and achieve the objectives required.
- Become a team player. You will learn how to have a team-based mentality, as your job as a consultant will be strongly influenced by your team performance.
- Master Excel and Power Point. You will learn how to become a lot faster and proficient with these tools than the average user.
- Prioritize activities. You will learn how to become 80-20...or alternatively how to sleep very few hours ;). As a consultant, you will always have more things to do than the ones achievable in a certain time frame, hence you will have to constantly decide what to give priority to.
Hope this helps,
Fellow Consulting Experts, time to share your thoughts - How will delivery of consulting services change in 2-5 years?