Cookie and Privacy Settings

This website uses cookies to enable essential functions like the user login and sessions. We also use cookies and third-party tools to improve your surfing experience on preplounge.com. You can choose to activate only essential cookies or all cookies. You can always change your preference in the cookie and privacy settings. This link can also be found in the footer of the site. If you need more information, please visit our privacy policy.

Data processing in the USA: By clicking on "I accept", you also consent, in accordance with article 49 paragraph 1 sentence 1 lit. GDPR, to your data being processed in the USA (by Google LLC, Facebook Inc., LinkedIn Inc., Stripe, Paypal).

Manage settings individually I accept
expert
Expert with best answer

Ian

100% Recommendation Rate

328 Meetings

29,222 Q&A Upvotes

USD 289 / Coaching

4

Unsure about to to act / moral issues

Hi everyone,

I have the following situation:

I worked in a smaller consultancy (A) until the end of April, that I wanted to leave for working in other consultancies (B and C). However there was another consultancy (D) asking me to work for them (via headhunter). As I wanted to leave consultancy A, I accepted the offer of consultancy D even though I would have had preffered working for B or C. After having started in the job at conusltancy D, B and C invited me to interviews (Mon + Fri) in two weeks, that I would like to accept.

Further information:
- current period of notice: 2 weeks
- interviews at B and C would be entirely remote (9:00 - 15:00)

Now my question:

1.) How would you handle the problem to keep the interview appointments at B and C without even having enough days to take for holiday at D?

2.) One could ask, why I did not apply earlier to consultancies B and C. That is because I worked quite close with them during that time. However, it feels uncomfortable right now being in this situation (especially over consultancy D). Is that feeling justified in your eyes? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Thanks a lot and kind regards!

Hi everyone,

I have the following situation:

I worked in a smaller consultancy (A) until the end of April, that I wanted to leave for working in other consultancies (B and C). However there was another consultancy (D) asking me to work for them (via headhunter). As I wanted to leave consultancy A, I accepted the offer of consultancy D even though I would have had preffered working for B or C. After having started in the job at conusltancy D, B and C invited me to interviews (Mon + Fri) in two weeks, that I would like to accept.

Further information:
- current period of notice: 2 weeks
- interviews at B and C would be entirely remote (9:00 - 15:00)

Now my question:

1.) How would you handle the problem to keep the interview appointments at B and C without even having enough days to take for holiday at D?

2.) One could ask, why I did not apply earlier to consultancies B and C. That is because I worked quite close with them during that time. However, it feels uncomfortable right now being in this situation (especially over consultancy D). Is that feeling justified in your eyes? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Thanks a lot and kind regards!

(edited)

4 answers

  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best Answer
Book a coaching with Ian

100% Recommendation Rate

328 Meetings

29,222 Q&A Upvotes

USD 289 / Coaching

Hi there,

Fantastic question - very well articulated.

1) Can I interview with consultancy B and C?

Yes - there's no (minimal) moral problem here. It's not ideal, but if there's a MUCH better opportunity for YOU, you need to take it. Of course, don't make this a habit!

2) How do I keep the interview appointments?

With work from home you are in a good position here. You have some options (in order of preference).

  • Schedule the interviews for when you're certain you have blocked time. This could be a Friday afternoon, early morning (if different timezones), during a period of the day where you know your bosses are in client meetings, etc.
  • Schedule a "doctor's appointment" during this time. They are legally not allowed to ask for more details/push back here. Get that period of the day blocked out, and say you have some emergency appointments.
  • Take a sick day. Not ideal, but if option 1 and 2 carry too much risk, this is your last option

Good luck!

Hi there,

Fantastic question - very well articulated.

1) Can I interview with consultancy B and C?

Yes - there's no (minimal) moral problem here. It's not ideal, but if there's a MUCH better opportunity for YOU, you need to take it. Of course, don't make this a habit!

2) How do I keep the interview appointments?

With work from home you are in a good position here. You have some options (in order of preference).

  • Schedule the interviews for when you're certain you have blocked time. This could be a Friday afternoon, early morning (if different timezones), during a period of the day where you know your bosses are in client meetings, etc.
  • Schedule a "doctor's appointment" during this time. They are legally not allowed to ask for more details/push back here. Get that period of the day blocked out, and say you have some emergency appointments.
  • Take a sick day. Not ideal, but if option 1 and 2 carry too much risk, this is your last option

Good luck!

Book a coaching with Adi

100% Recommendation Rate

97 Meetings

9,219 Q&A Upvotes

USD 169 / Coaching

Firms B and C may or may not happen. So its unknown and a risk nonetheless. What you have NOW is Firm D. So, make sure you dont drop the ball there while interviewing for B & C.

And my blunt advice is to "make it work". Put in the extra hours outside of the job to prepare for the interview if you cant take the holiday days. Otherwise pull off a sicky here & there without impacting your performance. You dont want to mess up B, C and D all :)!

Firms B and C may or may not happen. So its unknown and a risk nonetheless. What you have NOW is Firm D. So, make sure you dont drop the ball there while interviewing for B & C.

And my blunt advice is to "make it work". Put in the extra hours outside of the job to prepare for the interview if you cant take the holiday days. Otherwise pull off a sicky here & there without impacting your performance. You dont want to mess up B, C and D all :)!

Book a coaching with Francesco

100% Recommendation Rate

3,539 Meetings

18,753 Q&A Upvotes

USD 479 / Coaching

Hi there,

I agree with Adi and Ian. In terms of your questions specifically:

1.) How would you handle the problem to keep the interview appointments at B and C without even having enough days to take for holiday at D?

I would align with HR of B and C and ask if they may be flexible to have interviews early morning, late afternoon or at lunch break given your particular situation. Otherwise you will have to ask for a full/half day off.

2.) One could ask, why I did not apply earlier to consultancies B and C. That is because I worked quite close with them during that time. However, it feels uncomfortable right now being in this situation (especially over consultancy D). Is that feeling justified in your eyes? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Not ideal but these things happen. If you prefer the job in B and C, go for the interview with them. Once you have offers, then you can compare with your current opportunity and make a final decision.

Best,

Francesco

Hi there,

I agree with Adi and Ian. In terms of your questions specifically:

1.) How would you handle the problem to keep the interview appointments at B and C without even having enough days to take for holiday at D?

I would align with HR of B and C and ask if they may be flexible to have interviews early morning, late afternoon or at lunch break given your particular situation. Otherwise you will have to ask for a full/half day off.

2.) One could ask, why I did not apply earlier to consultancies B and C. That is because I worked quite close with them during that time. However, it feels uncomfortable right now being in this situation (especially over consultancy D). Is that feeling justified in your eyes? If yes, why? If no, why not?

Not ideal but these things happen. If you prefer the job in B and C, go for the interview with them. Once you have offers, then you can compare with your current opportunity and make a final decision.

Best,

Francesco

Book a coaching with Clara

100% Recommendation Rate

62 Meetings

16,625 Q&A Upvotes

USD 229 / Coaching

Hello!

You are not doing anything wrong by interviewing with the other two firms, so if it´s your preference, I would for sure go ahead and do it.

The easiest indeed would be to take holidays not to have conflicts, and prep outside the work.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Hello!

You are not doing anything wrong by interviewing with the other two firms, so if it´s your preference, I would for sure go ahead and do it.

The easiest indeed would be to take holidays not to have conflicts, and prep outside the work.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara