here's what I learned from consulting that helped me and will always help me in later career:
1. Structured problem-solving: you learn how to structure your problems, to analyse them and to solve them.
2. Communication: you have to present your final document to CEOs and top-managers, so you need to be really top-down, sharp and clear in your communication
3. Project management: in every project you learn how to define the scope, the deadlines, the deliverables and how to deliver outstanding outcome in short time. You learn how to prioritize.
4. People relationship: consulting is about working with people, both from colleagues and from clients point of view. You learn how to deal with different leadership styles and how to adapt your approach to them
5. Flexibility/Open-minded: you switch industry and function for every project, so you are flexible and open-minded to adapt your logic/reasoning quickly. You basically get used to always be out of your comfort zone and in front of a totally new industry and function, you usually don't know anything about.
6. Excellence: you learn how to review your final outcome from the eyes of a CEO or a top-manager that expects high-quality standard from consultants.
7. Resilience: you get resilient to long working hours, to deadline pressure, to flights and trains trips and to live in many different city during the year
8. Network: you create a network with both colleagues and clients that will always be there for you in your future!
I would like to say so many other things...in 1 sentence: it's worth it!
Hope it helps! :)