Hi prep lounge community,
I received an offer from McKinsey USA, but given my need for VISA sponsorship and the long delays and low approval rates for H1-B visas, it was decided that I'd be hired into a non-US office, and potentially transfer into the USA later. The possibility exists that I could stay in the new country permanently, assuming I like it there.
I just reviewed the new offer and it's significantly different from the US offer - lower in almost every category, in some cases, by a significant amount. I'm already taking a net pay cut, as I'm moving from a country where living expenses are significantly lower, and my salary will be about the same after taxes.
So, I know salaries are non-negotiable. I'm aware that career (and hence salary) progression is much faster than the industry I'm in, so I can get over that. But I was relying on the large signing bonus to somewhat offset that in years 1 and 2 until the first promotion, but the performanc and signing bonus in this offer I received from the other country are much lower. Anyone have experience negotiating those aspects of compensation, especially in a context where you already received an offer from a different country?
Thanks in advance for your help!