McKinsey decision on invite to 2nd Round

MBB McKinsey
New answer on Jan 23, 2020
5 Answers
1.2 k Views
Anonymous A asked on Jan 21, 2020

I had my 1st round interview on Thursday last week and the recruiter told me they'd get back to me on Monday evening (yesterday).

Instead, another recruiter (with whom I usually dealt with) called me and asked if I had heard back yet. To which I said "no, not yet". And she said "oh ok, they should get in touch with you sometime this week"

Very confused - should I follow up or just be patient ?

Overview of answers

Upvotes
  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best answer
Francesco
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Jan 23, 2020
#1 Coach for Sessions (4.000+) | 1.400+ 5-Star Reviews | Proven Success (➡ InterviewOffers.com) | Ex BCG | 9Y+ Coaching

Hi Anonymous,

I usually suggest to contact again the company at least one day after their proposed deadline, you don’t want to be too pushy and contacting before won’t change anyway the outcome of the interview.

Best,

Francesco

Was this answer helpful?
Luca
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Jan 21, 2020
BCG |NASA | SDA Bocconi & Cattolica partner | GMAT expert 780/800 score | 200+ students coached

Hello,

I would suggest to call them, you have even the excuse of the other rectuiter contacting you ;)

Don't be afrai of contacting HR, they are there to help and your impatience is only another proof of your proactivity and motivation to join McKinsey (without exaggerating, obviously).

Best,
Luca

Was this answer helpful?
Clara
Expert
Content Creator
updated an answer on Oct 31, 2020
McKinsey | Awarded professor at Master in Management @ IE | MBA at MIT |+180 students coached | Integrated FIT Guide aut

Hello!

I would give them a buffer of 2-3 days and then call HR to clarify, they are normally very nice and understanding.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Clara

Can you let us know what htey told u?

(edited)

Was this answer helpful?
Giulia
Expert
replied on Jan 21, 2020
McKinsey Business Analyst | 3+ years Experience | MBA at LBS

Hi,

If they said on Monday, I would at least wait until Wed (tomorrow) and then follow-up with the HR.

Don't be afraid to write to them, though, they are there to help!

Was this answer helpful?
Vlad
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Jan 21, 2020
McKinsey / Accenture Alum / Got all BIG3 offers / Harvard Business School

Hi,

Wait a couple of days and ping back both HRs if nothing. They are there to help you so you can use them in any capacity. There is no penalty for asking:)

Best

Was this answer helpful?
Francesco gave the best answer

Francesco

Content Creator
#1 Coach for Sessions (4.000+) | 1.400+ 5-Star Reviews | Proven Success (➡ InterviewOffers.com) | Ex BCG | 9Y+ Coaching
4,027
Meetings
27,736
Q&A Upvotes
292
Awards
5.0
1480 Reviews