Hi, i'm new to learn here about consulting, if there's a questions about how many transactions could an online transportaion service such as uber or grab bike in a day,how should i approach to answer it?
Market size of an online-transportation service such as Uber/grab bike in a day
here's how I would approach it
- Define the geographic area to be covered [the whole world? the U.S.? NYC? Manhattan?...for this example I'll use Manhattan]
- Population living there [~ 1.5 M] + population travelling there for work or leisure [not sure about the figure, anything in the 50 - 100 M a year range]
- Divide the travellers figure per days of the year [100 M / 365 ≈ 275k]
- Assume a very low number of travellers comes to Manhattan by car [I'll say it's 0%] and most of the local population doesn't have / use the car [10% of people own a car and use it daily]
- The potential market for your service will be [275k] + [1.5 M * 90%] = [1.625 M]
- Assume [50%] of these people use public transportation, [20%] uses taxis and another [20%] either walks or bikes: this leaves you with [10% ~ 163k] potential daily customers
- Assume there's  competitors in this market with an equal market share: your company will process [10% of the transactions ~ 16k transactions a day]
All of the assumptions I used can obviously be challenged and can also be addressed by specific questions to the interviewer.
Hope this helped.
I would use the following logic:
1) When I open the Uber app I see xx available cars covering some area
2) Assume some utilization rate for peak / off-peak and apply it to get the total number of cars in your area
3) Multiply that area by the number of similar areas to cover the city (ajust to how busy your area is)
4) Make assumptions re av. rides length to calculate rides per hour (don't forget to include utilization rate you've used before). Make sure to segment the day by peak / off peak time
5) Multiply rides per hour by the number of cars in peak / off-peak and operating hours to get total rides
Related BootCamp article(s)
Your client, large automotive OEM WyCar, has developed its first fully electric vehicle (EV) and introduced it as a pilot on the Austrian market last year. However, sales have been far below the expected numbers. The management has engaged you to support them in understanding the reasons and advise ... Open whole case
Nutripremium is a very well-known premium nutrition food company in Europe (€1 billion revenue last year). It is based in Spain and has an excellent market share not only in its home country but also in Portugal, France, Italy and Germany. Nutripremium has two main lines of products: Vitam ... Open whole case
Beyer, one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world, just invented a very reliable vaccine against Chickenpox, a disease that affects children in the age from 2 to 16 years. Beyer came to you wondering what their potential sales in Europe in the first year would be if they launched th ... Open whole case
How many gas stations are there in Paris? Suppose a friend of yours wants to open a gas station in Paris. What aspects should he consider? Open whole case
Your client, Fairway, is a manufacturer and supplier of golf balls. The company is acting globally in almost every market. They are now planning to expand to Portugal, but they do not have any information about the market there. Portugal is a small country in West Europe with a population o ... Open whole case