How would you solve this one?
How many humans were born since beginning of humanity?
One proposed approach
1. Define when the humanity began, how long ago.
2. Divide the period between when the humanity began until today in more periods based on the total population, assuming each period had a constant total population. (here you should mainly pay attention to what happened after the middle ages, before that it doesn't really mater for the final result because the world total population was much much smaller than until the middle ages)
3. For each period determine the average life expectancy.
4. Having the average life expectancy use the replacement principle to get how many people were born within that period.
5. Sum up results from every period.
Any comment or another method is welcomed.
Great analysis! Except for one minor problem, I think the global population burst since the discovery of antibiotics, which is around 1940s. I assume the change after middle ages is not that substancial compared to what happened after 1940s.
Related BootCamp article(s)
Your client, large automotive OEM WyCar, has developed its first fully electric vehicle (EV) and introduced it as a pilot on the Austrian market last year. However, sales have been far below the expected numbers. The management has engaged you to support them in understanding the reasons and advise ... Open whole case
You have inherited the “Old Winery” from your grandfather, a winery which has been family owned for five generations and can be dated back to the 16th century. Half of the eleven hectares are used to grow white grapes, the other half to grow red grapes. They are grown in the conventional way, i.e. ... Open whole case
Onlinestar, an online retailer of furniture and garden products (core business), has grown significantly in recent years as a result of an expansion of its product portfolio. The company mainly imports goods from Chinese manufacturers but also operates its own production of cat lavatories (special b ... Open whole case
Your customer is the market leader in the North American elevator service business. This is divided into the areas of elevator construction, elevator modernization and service. The customer has a particularly strong branch network in medium-sized cities and would now like to expand its business in ... Open whole case
Our client Pharma Finance just finalized its first investment round and received $ 40m to invest in the build-up of a pharmaceutical manufacturing company. The CEO is mainly interested in high margins and profitable markets, with a sustainable and green production. This is why he wants you to find o ... Open whole case