How would you solve this one?
How many humans were born since beginning of humanity?
One proposed approach
1. Define when the humanity began, how long ago.
2. Divide the period between when the humanity began until today in more periods based on the total population, assuming each period had a constant total population. (here you should mainly pay attention to what happened after the middle ages, before that it doesn't really mater for the final result because the world total population was much much smaller than until the middle ages)
3. For each period determine the average life expectancy.
4. Having the average life expectancy use the replacement principle to get how many people were born within that period.
5. Sum up results from every period.
Any comment or another method is welcomed.
Great analysis! Except for one minor problem, I think the global population burst since the discovery of antibiotics, which is around 1940s. I assume the change after middle ages is not that substancial compared to what happened after 1940s.
Related BootCamp article(s)
Your client, large automotive OEM WyCar, has developed its first fully electric vehicle (EV) and introduced it as a pilot on the Austrian market last year. However, sales have been far below the expected numbers. The management has engaged you to support them in understanding the reasons and advise ... Open whole case
Nutripremium is a very well-known premium nutrition food company in Europe (€1 billion revenue last year). It is based in Spain and has an excellent market share not only in its home country but also in Portugal, France, Italy and Germany. Nutripremium has two main lines of products: Vitam ... Open whole case
Beyer, one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world, just invented a very reliable vaccine against Chickenpox, a disease that affects children in the age from 2 to 16 years. Beyer came to you wondering what their potential sales in Europe in the first year would be if they launched th ... Open whole case
How many gas stations are there in Paris? Suppose a friend of yours wants to open a gas station in Paris. What aspects should he consider? Open whole case
Your client, Fairway, is a manufacturer and supplier of golf balls. The company is acting globally in almost every market. They are now planning to expand to Portugal, but they do not have any information about the market there. Portugal is a small country in West Europe with a population o ... Open whole case