Cookie and Privacy Settings

This website uses cookies to enable essential functions like the user login and sessions. We also use cookies and third-party tools to improve your surfing experience on preplounge.com. You can choose to activate only essential cookies or all cookies. You can always change your preference in the cookie and privacy settings. This link can also be found in the footer of the site. If you need more information, please visit our privacy policy.

Data processing in the USA: By clicking on "I accept", you also consent, in accordance with article 49 paragraph 1 sentence 1 lit. GDPR, to your data being processed in the USA (by Google LLC, Facebook Inc., LinkedIn Inc., Stripe, Paypal).

Manage settings individually I accept
expert
Expert with best answer

Adi

100% Recommendation Rate

50 Meetings

4,335 Q&A Upvotes

USD 149 / Coaching

8

Background check & job switching (< 1y)

Hello,

In recent months I have applied to many jobs as probably a lot of unemployed people have. I got two entry lvl offers (1st one starting in March - F500 and 2nd one starting in July - Consulting)

I would like to accept the role in March and the one in July (so basically I would quit the 1st company before starting to work in July). I am not really happy about that, but I am unemployed and I don't want to stangate anymore.

For the job starting in July I will have to go through background checks. They will check the information on my current CV (which doesn't have the March job) so what should I do?

1) hould I tell them I started working while waiting for that job?

2) Don't report anything as they check only information that were relevant during the process? Can they find out that I have a job if I don't report it?

I am concerned that they will get in touch with my current employer (The one where I'll work from March - June) and that I might get in trouble for that. Just for context, I am from Eastern Europe.

Hello,

In recent months I have applied to many jobs as probably a lot of unemployed people have. I got two entry lvl offers (1st one starting in March - F500 and 2nd one starting in July - Consulting)

I would like to accept the role in March and the one in July (so basically I would quit the 1st company before starting to work in July). I am not really happy about that, but I am unemployed and I don't want to stangate anymore.

For the job starting in July I will have to go through background checks. They will check the information on my current CV (which doesn't have the March job) so what should I do?

1) hould I tell them I started working while waiting for that job?

2) Don't report anything as they check only information that were relevant during the process? Can they find out that I have a job if I don't report it?

I am concerned that they will get in touch with my current employer (The one where I'll work from March - June) and that I might get in trouble for that. Just for context, I am from Eastern Europe.

8 answers

  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best Answer
Book a coaching with Adi

100% Recommendation Rate

50 Meetings

4,335 Q&A Upvotes

USD 149 / Coaching

Hey,

I may not be getting the full context of your situation & urgency, but my advice will be to just accept & stick to the job you really want to do i.e. the July one. By doing what you plan to do, you risk exposing yourself and potentially losing the July offer. In reality it will seem that you have accepted two offers in parallel and this is not the right professional approach.

In terms of background check they will only check what you report on your CV and its unlikely they will find it. But you never know and there is a risk for sure.

On the flip side, can you negotiate nicely and bring forward the July start date to April maybe? Be honest and explain your situation, tell them you are keen to get going sooner- am sure they can shave off 2-3 months. Tell them you have another offer coming potentially starting earlier but would prefer to join them instead.

Hey,

I may not be getting the full context of your situation & urgency, but my advice will be to just accept & stick to the job you really want to do i.e. the July one. By doing what you plan to do, you risk exposing yourself and potentially losing the July offer. In reality it will seem that you have accepted two offers in parallel and this is not the right professional approach.

In terms of background check they will only check what you report on your CV and its unlikely they will find it. But you never know and there is a risk for sure.

On the flip side, can you negotiate nicely and bring forward the July start date to April maybe? Be honest and explain your situation, tell them you are keen to get going sooner- am sure they can shave off 2-3 months. Tell them you have another offer coming potentially starting earlier but would prefer to join them instead.

Thanks Adi! I've been unemployed for more than 6 months now and I need the money, purpose and experience. Unfortunately, I can't move the start date for the July company and I am 100% certain that's not an option. — Anonymous A on Jan 07, 2021 (edited)

Book a coaching with Clara

100% Recommendation Rate

50 Meetings

12,582 Q&A Upvotes

USD 229 / Coaching

Hello!

It´s a risky move and depends on a lot of factors, but honestly, I would totally understand.

There is the option also to tell the 2nd employer, the one in July, that you have another offer starting march and that you would like to see whether it´s possible to move the start date. It may perfectly work, nothing to loose.

Regarding background check, they will only contact the employers you gave them, this march-july thing won´t create any issues.

Hope it helps!

Best,

Clara

Hello!

It´s a risky move and depends on a lot of factors, but honestly, I would totally understand.

There is the option also to tell the 2nd employer, the one in July, that you have another offer starting march and that you would like to see whether it´s possible to move the start date. It may perfectly work, nothing to loose.

Regarding background check, they will only contact the employers you gave them, this march-july thing won´t create any issues.

Hope it helps!

Best,

Clara

Book a coaching with Ken

100% Recommendation Rate

31 Meetings

3,478 Q&A Upvotes

USD 189 / Coaching

Hi, sorry to hear that you've been experiencing a challenging time but great to hear that you have a consulting job at hand! Call me crazy but would it be possible to discuss an earlier start to your consulting job instead of trying to choreograph two different jobs? I appreciate different firms have different approaches but my personal experience and observation at McKinsey was one where they go above and beyond to take look after its people, especially in times of difficulty. Considering it is a firm that you will be associating yourself with in the long run, it doesn't hurt to start establishing a trust based relationship and communication earlier than later.

All the best!

Hi, sorry to hear that you've been experiencing a challenging time but great to hear that you have a consulting job at hand! Call me crazy but would it be possible to discuss an earlier start to your consulting job instead of trying to choreograph two different jobs? I appreciate different firms have different approaches but my personal experience and observation at McKinsey was one where they go above and beyond to take look after its people, especially in times of difficulty. Considering it is a firm that you will be associating yourself with in the long run, it doesn't hurt to start establishing a trust based relationship and communication earlier than later.

All the best!

(edited)

Thanks Ken! Unfortunately, I am 100% certain that earlier start is not possible. — Anonymous A on Jan 08, 2021

Book a coaching with Gaurav

100% Recommendation Rate

195 Meetings

4,965 Q&A Upvotes

USD 209 / Coaching

Hi there,

totally understand your situation and reasoning. I've seen people quitting what they thought was their dream job after two weeks because they found something better. From that perspective quitting after 4 months is not a crime at all.

I don't think you need to worry about the background check if your March job is not listed in the CV.

Good luck for your new positions and congrats!

GB

Hi there,

totally understand your situation and reasoning. I've seen people quitting what they thought was their dream job after two weeks because they found something better. From that perspective quitting after 4 months is not a crime at all.

I don't think you need to worry about the background check if your March job is not listed in the CV.

Good luck for your new positions and congrats!

GB

Thanks Guarav, consise and helpful! — Anonymous A on Jan 08, 2021

Book a coaching with Vlad

98% Recommendation Rate

405 Meetings

11,353 Q&A Upvotes

USD 239 / Coaching

Hi,

Don't worry, they would only contact the employers that you submit. Thus, just don't put any information on your Mar employer in the form. Absolutely nothing to worry about

I would only worry about the relationship with Mar employer. How would you justify living the company?

Best

Hi,

Don't worry, they would only contact the employers that you submit. Thus, just don't put any information on your Mar employer in the form. Absolutely nothing to worry about

I would only worry about the relationship with Mar employer. How would you justify living the company?

Best

(edited)

Thank you for your comment Vlad. I know that this might be selfish, but I need the money and I am fed up with not working. I would have to figure out what I would tell the Mar company, but that contract is not permanent so I can also use that as justification. — Anonymous A on Jan 07, 2021

Book a coaching with Ian

100% Recommendation Rate

203 Meetings

16,440 Q&A Upvotes

USD 289 / Coaching

Hi there,

I do totally understand and have no judgement here. That said, I do have some concerns here, in that you're going to be really screwing over those people in that first firm and burning that bridge permanently.

This is bad for a few reasons:

1) Guilt. You're going to develop relationships with those people and leave them high and dry...they're spent time, money, energy hiring+training you and they won't get their money back on that (companies/teams only see returns on new employees after about a year)

2) Reputation. I don't know where you live, but if you're in a smallish market (medium-sized country + city or smaller), this reputation of what you've done could leak and stick to your name.

You're your own person, but you need to be aware about how #1 and #2 may affect you down the road for years to come.

That said, if you do decide to do this, you should keep quiet about everything (to both firms). If you do this, also be prepared to "get caught" by the 2nd company and lose that entire offer altogether, getting stuck with your current role. It's not probable, but it is possible.

Hi there,

I do totally understand and have no judgement here. That said, I do have some concerns here, in that you're going to be really screwing over those people in that first firm and burning that bridge permanently.

This is bad for a few reasons:

1) Guilt. You're going to develop relationships with those people and leave them high and dry...they're spent time, money, energy hiring+training you and they won't get their money back on that (companies/teams only see returns on new employees after about a year)

2) Reputation. I don't know where you live, but if you're in a smallish market (medium-sized country + city or smaller), this reputation of what you've done could leak and stick to your name.

You're your own person, but you need to be aware about how #1 and #2 may affect you down the road for years to come.

That said, if you do decide to do this, you should keep quiet about everything (to both firms). If you do this, also be prepared to "get caught" by the 2nd company and lose that entire offer altogether, getting stuck with your current role. It's not probable, but it is possible.

(edited)

Thanks Ian, always an insightful answer. I am not concerned with #2, but #1 is a problem to me and I need to think about it. — Anonymous A on Jan 08, 2021

Book a coaching with Francesco

100% Recommendation Rate

3,284 Meetings

12,142 Q&A Upvotes

USD 449 / Coaching

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offers. I saw you mentioned in the comments that you cannot move the starting date earlier for the 2nd company. Given you need to start to work in March, I would say your options are:

  1. Follow your plan, accept the two offers and leave in 3 months (background check for the 2nd company won’t be an issue as mentioned below)
  2. Find an internship March to June as substitute for the F500 company
  3. Ask the F500 to convert the offer in a 3-month internship (they will probably say no and cancel the offer if they are looking for full time only)

Option 2 would be the best, but may not be feasible.

In terms of the background check: they won’t check what you don’t have it in your CV, so that’s not a problem.

Hope this helps,
Francesco

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offers. I saw you mentioned in the comments that you cannot move the starting date earlier for the 2nd company. Given you need to start to work in March, I would say your options are:

  1. Follow your plan, accept the two offers and leave in 3 months (background check for the 2nd company won’t be an issue as mentioned below)
  2. Find an internship March to June as substitute for the F500 company
  3. Ask the F500 to convert the offer in a 3-month internship (they will probably say no and cancel the offer if they are looking for full time only)

Option 2 would be the best, but may not be feasible.

In terms of the background check: they won’t check what you don’t have it in your CV, so that’s not a problem.

Hope this helps,
Francesco

Thank you Francesco, that's a very good tip and I wish I could go with option #2, but there are very limited possibilities where I come from. Another thing is that all of the processes I have been involved in lasted at least 2 months, so there is no way I can achieve that. — Anonymous A on Jan 08, 2021

Book a coaching with Iman

100% Recommendation Rate

16 Meetings

1,501 Q&A Upvotes

USD 159 / Coaching

Hi,

Unless you are in a dire need for cash, I would suggest to just do the June job since it seems you really want it. If nothing is urgent from your side it is better to avoid adding unecessary complexity and it will looks unprofessional as you are accepting 2 offers at the same time.

Another option is to negotiate an earlier start for the June Job.

Best,
Iman

Hi,

Unless you are in a dire need for cash, I would suggest to just do the June job since it seems you really want it. If nothing is urgent from your side it is better to avoid adding unecessary complexity and it will looks unprofessional as you are accepting 2 offers at the same time.

Another option is to negotiate an earlier start for the June Job.

Best,
Iman

Related case(s)

MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education

Solved 15.4k times
MBB Final Round Case - Smart Education Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvantaged areas. The client is considering starting operations for its services in the Chicago area. They hired us to understand if that makes sense. Due to the nonprofit regulation, SmartBridge should operate on its own in the market, without any partnership. How would you help our client?
4.6 5 530
| Rating: (4.6 / 5.0)

Our client is SmartBridge, a nonprofit educational institution offering face-to-face tutoring services. The client operates in the US. The mission of SmartBridge is to help as many students as possible to complete studies and prevent that they drop from the school system, in particular in disadvant ... Open whole case

Cutting Carbs - Divestiture in the Electrical Power Market

Solved 1.1k times
Cutting Carbs - Divestiture in the Electrical Power Market Our client is Energy England, one of northern England’s largest electric utility companies. They were created over the past decade through an aggressive series of mergers of existing utility companies each specializing in a single energy generation source. Recently, the CEO has embarked on an initiative to return to the core of the business. She is looking to increase free cash flow and cash reserves in order to prepare the business for evolving future trends.   The following can be verbally provided to interviewee if asked: Energy England is made up of assets across the energy-generation space. These include coal, gas, nuclear, and wind We are looking to divest from just one of our previous acquisitions (i.e one target is sufficient) There are no specific goals/metrics – the client trusts our judgement
4.2 5 20
| Rating: (4.2 / 5.0)

Our client is Energy England, one of northern England’s largest electric utility companies. They were created over the past decade through an aggressive series of mergers of existing utility companies each specializing in a single energy generation source. Recently, the CEO has embarked on an initi ... Open whole case

Bain 1st Round Case – BlissOttica

Solved 400+ times
Bain 1st Round Case – BlissOttica Our client is a BlissOttica, an Eyewear Manufacturer that is looking to reach a 10% increase in profits. How would you help our client?
4.4 5 20
| Rating: (4.4 / 5.0)

Our client is a BlissOttica, an Eyewear Manufacturer that is looking to reach a 10% increase in profits. How would you help our client? Open whole case