Hi everyone! As I am fluent in English, German and French, I want to apply for internships at different consulting firms (not necessarily top tier) in various countries (Germany, France, England, US, Canada). My first question is: do you think this is a good idea or is it better to focus on one region? Second: How are the chances to get hired for an internship as a foreigner? Third: How early do I need to apply for an internship in those countries? Does it differ? I hope someone can help me out, I would appreciate any info you can give me!
Applying for mngmt consulting internships in different countries
I can give a bit of advice about McKinsey:
1) I suggest to find a friend who works in consulting and who will make a referense
2) While making a referense he can select 3 preffered countries in the system in accordance with your priorities
3) They will call you to the country where you have the best fit out of these 3 (They will take into account your/local language, visa, current place of living). Most probably they will call you to the local office unless it is not stated in preferences at all.
Hope that helps!
in general it would be challenging to be considered for a position abroad, unless (i) you are applying as MBA graduate or experienced hire, (ii) you manage to get a referral in the target geography or (iii) you can show strong connections with that country (eg you worked/studied there for a significant period of time). Therefore, everything equal you would have higher chances in your own country. Coming to your questions:
- If you have a preferred geography I think it would make sense to concentrate on that and try to find referrals there; of course, if a company is not present in your preferred geography you may want to apply in other countries for that particular firm.
- In general being hired abroad is harder than in your home country, unless you satisfy one of the three conditions above.
- Every country has its own criteria. In UK for example you have specific deadlines, while in Italy you have rolling admission and can apply in every period of the year. You can normally find the information available on the website of the target geography.