Hi everybody, I have a final round Simon Kucher interview coming up in the USA. There was a short... (more)
Career & Application at Simon-Kucher & PartnersTo website
About Simon-Kucher & Partners
Simon-Kucher & Partners is a global management consulting firm with 930 employees in 33 offices worldwide. The focus is on strategy, marketing, pricing, and sales. Founded in 1985, Simon-Kucher & Partners has more than 30 years of experience and is regarded as the world’s leading pricing advisor.
Consultants at Simon-Kucher & Partners consider themselves as true profit experts and help their clients to sustainably boost their profits. Their projects typically achieve a profitability improvement of 100 to 500 basis points. With the TopLine Power® approach, Simon-Kucher focuses on improving the top line instead of cutting costs. In recent years, many companies have achieved considerable improvements on the cost side, and have now taken cost cutting as far as it can go. Not so with the top line, where there is still enormous potential.
Typical areas and topics are:
Strategy (growth and competition strategies, new business models, product and market entry strategies, etc.)
Marketing (marketing strategies and efficiency programs, meaningful segmentation, organization and operations, loyalty marketing, etc.)
Pricing (avoiding price wars, innovation pricing, effective price execution, discount systems, global pricing, etc.)
Sales (sales force effectiveness, channel management, sales organization/strategy, key account management, etc.)
Holistic TopLine Power® programs (change management, organization of commercial functions, KPIs, etc.)
Your career at Simon-Kucher & Partners
Consultants are often highly motivated and ambitious individuals, and Simon-Kucher's motto, “Grow faster. With us.” acknowledges the company's commitment to helping you shape your career with them. Promotions are based on individual performance, which is comprehensively reviewed approximately every six months. There is no standard timeline for promotions or an up-or-out philosophy, so you and your performance determine how quickly you move up.
From day one at Simon-Kucher, you’ll be given a chance to assume a great deal of responsibility and freedom. “Grow faster. With us.” means that they will work to help you find a balance between tackling challenging projects and developing a solid foundation of tools and expertise.
Simon-Kucher & Partners Q&As Add your Question
I have a final round Simon Kucher interview coming up in the USA. There was a short 15 minute math test to begin and I was wondering what type of math questions will be asked and whats the best way to practice
Hi, ich hatte vor vielen Jahren mal ein Interview bei Simon-Kucher in Bonn, kann daher nur dazu Aussagen treffen: Wurde viel nach Personal fit gefragt? Etwas weniger im Vergleich zu MBB... (more)
ich hatte vor vielen Jahren mal ein Interview bei Simon-Kucher in Bonn, kann daher nur dazu Aussagen treffen:
- Wurde viel nach Personal fit gefragt?
- Etwas weniger im Vergleich zu MBB+
- Waren die Cases intensiv mit Fokus auf Pricing/Umsatz?
- Ja, sehr!
- Wer waren die Interviewer? Nur Senior Berater oder auch Partner?
- Wurde es an dem Interview-Tag entschieden oder gibt es auch eine zweite Runde?
- Es gab nur eine Runde, aber die Entscheidung wurde trotzdem erst ein paar Tage später mitgeteilt
- War der Mathe-Test schwer?
- Nein, nur Grundrechenarten (wichtig: Prozentrechnen, schneller Umgang mit Brüchen bis 1/20, Dreisatz, lineare Algebra, Zehnerpotenzen)
Hoffe, das hilft! :)
Hi Harshika, congratulations on your offer! If you want to prepare in advance before you start, I would recommend working on technical, communication and stress management skills. On the tech... (more)
congratulations on your offer! If you want to prepare in advance before you start, I would recommend working on technical, communication and stress management skills.
- On the technical side, Excel will be the most important technical thing to master at the beginning, in particular for VLOOKUPs and Pivot tables; you could also review PowerPoint, which you will also use quite a lot.
- At BCG we got learning courses we could use to improve on them, and I guess you will receive the same at SK, but so far that you have already mastered the skills before joining (you can find several courses online for both), even better.
- Tip for Excel: learn how to use as much as possible the keyword and relegate the touchpad to the minimum – this will skyrocket your productivity in the long term. Some computer programs such as KeyRocket provide tips to improve on this.
- For what concerns communication, I would recommend the classic book on the topic: “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie.
- For stress management, I would recommend two books:
- “The Miracle Morning” by Hal Elrod – great tips to start in the right way your day
- “The Magic of Thinking Big” by David Schwartz – a great sum up of some of the best tips be positive, productive and achieve more
Below you can also find a list of things that could be useful to practice during your first weeks:
- Take notes when your manager tells you something – this will help you to remember details and will show you care about them to the team.
- Always double check. The first impression is very important in consulting: if you show you are reliable from the beginning, you create a reputation of a reliable person. Double checks should be done on expectations for your job, your excel analysis, your slides – basically everything.
- Define priorities before starting any set of tasks. The majority of the results usually come from a subset of activities – this is true also for your tasks in consulting. You have to identify which they are and prioritize them – the application of the so-called 80-20 rule or Pareto Principle.
- Socialize with your colleagues and start to build a network. Consulting is a people business and you should build a good network both within and outside the company. A good start is key to develop good relationships long-term
- Organize your private life activities. You want to organize your calendar to leave some space for personal activities (sport/ friends/ family). This is not easy but can be managed if you organize well, and long-term will be critical to keep a balance between work and private life. Also, it is better to align with your manager/teammates from the beginning on your core needs, so that there are no surprises later on.
- Ask for feedback every two-three weeks – this will show you are proactive and willing to learn.
- Ask for help when you don't know what to do – better to let know you are in trouble with meeting a deadline then missing the deadline.
- Be social and respectful with the support staff – these people are great and influential as well in the company.
Hope this helps,
Hi! You should expect strategy cases, similar to MBB, but with a focus on marketing & sales topics. A special emphasis on Pricing! Don't expect cost cutting. Apparently SKP also like to give brain... (more)
Hi! You should expect strategy cases, similar to MBB, but with a focus on marketing & sales topics. A special emphasis on Pricing! Don't expect cost cutting. Apparently SKP also like to give brain teasers from time to time.