Consulting Consulting
Back to overview

Rescinding a signed offer - how common and what are the implications?

I recently signed a full-time offer from a T2 firm, with a start date in Q4. At the same time, I'm in final rounds with an MBB firm, and I might be getting an offer within the next few weeks, before my T2 start date.

If I do get the MBB offer, how common is it to rescind a signed offer in this situation? What are the implications?

I'm also considering an alternative: join the T2 firm for ~3 months, then only move to MBB in 2027, since this year's MBB intake in my region seems to already be full. If I do this, how is that path typically viewed by both firms?

Essentially, which option do you think is better? 

Would appreciate any insight from people who've navigated something similar. Thank you!

5
4
200+
Be the first to answer!
Nobody has responded to this question yet.
Top answer
Profile picture of Franco
Franco
Coach
on Aug 31, 2026
Ex BCG Principal & Global Interviewer (10+ Years) | 100+ MBB Offers | 95% Success Rate

Hi,

I have encountered a couple of similar situations. It is delicate, but if you receive a confirmed MBB offer, it wouldn't be wise to decline it. The question is how to minimize the damage with the T2 firm.

First, do not take any action until you have the MBB offer in writing and have checked both contracts for notice periods, signing-bonus repayments and other potential obligations.

If there is a meaningful gap before the MBB start date, joining the T2 firm can still make sense because:

  1. You will gain consulting experience that you can leverage at MBB.
  2. You can communicate your departure with some notice rather than withdrawing immediately before starting.

If you expect to stay for around three months as you said, I would inform the T2 firm one month before leaving, subject to your contractual notice period. If you explain that you received an MBB opportunity, they will understand the rationale.

If there is no meaningful gap, there is little benefit in starting at the T2 firm briefly. In that case, withdraw as soon as the MBB offer is fully confirmed. Communicate the decision professionally and apologetically. You should assume that this may close the door with that firm in the future, but I would not give up an MBB offer solely to preserve that relationship.

Hope this helps.

Franco

Profile picture of Ian
Ian
Coach
edited on Sep 01, 2026
Top US BCG / MBB Coach - 5,000 sessions |Tech, Platinion, Big 4 | 9/9 personal interviews passed | 95% candidate success

Hi there,

First, do nothing unless you receive the MBB offer in writing. Then review both contracts carefully for notice periods, repayments, and any other obligations. If anything is unclear, speak with an employment lawyer.

If MBB is clearly your preferred destination, I would take the MBB offer and withdraw from the T2 offer. I would not join T2 for only 3 months purely to avoid rescinding. That creates an awkward situation anyway and gives you very little time to build meaningful experience.

Yes, withdrawing after signing may burn the bridge with the T2 firm. If you proceed, call them, be honest, apologize, and tell them as early as possible.

This is a consequential decision involving contracts, reputation, timing, and your longer term career. A one hour session with a career coach is a sensible investment before acting.

Profile picture of Alessa
Alessa
Coach
on Aug 31, 2026
Ex-McKinsey | Ex-BCG | Ex-Roland Berger

Hey there :)

If you receive an MBB offer before starting at the T2 firm, I’d generally take the MBB offer and withdraw from the signed T2 offer. It happens in consulting, although you should expect the T2 firm to be disappointed and potentially not consider you again for some time. Check your contract for any notice or repayment clauses before doing anything.

Joining T2 for only three months and then moving to MBB is also possible, but I wouldn’t choose that route purely to avoid rescinding the offer. Three months is very little time to build meaningful experience, and leaving that quickly can create a more awkward story for both sides.

If MBB is clearly your preferred destination, I’d take the direct route if the offer comes through. Best, Alessa :)

Profile picture of Benjamin
on Aug 31, 2026
Ex-BCG Principal | 8+ years consulting experience in SEA | BCG top interviewer & top performer

Hi,

Reneging does happen.

Not ideal, but you have to weigh the pros and cons of doing so, and I would think in many cases it makes more sense to take the MBB offer.

In most markets, MBB does not really care what T2 thinks, unless its a really small market and somehow there are very personal connections between MBB and T2.