Hi, I am currently working in a Tier 2 consulting firm. I applied to McK and have an interview scheduled with them. Could the McKinsey people please help me understand what is it like to work with McKinsey so that I can better answer the question, "Why McKinsey?" Of couse, I know that Mck is the gold standard when it comes to Consulting. I'd like to be better prepared for the question.
It should be your personal research since the reasons may vary in different geographies. Here are some ideas of what you can use to structure your thoughts:
- You can start with general facts about the local office. Something like “Sidney office is the fastest growing McKinsey office worldwide.”
- If you have an interest in a particular industry or client this may also be a great reason. For example, McK can be the only consulting firm working with airlines in your region.
- You may address the different Global opportunities and office initiatives. E.g. international staffing can be a good opportunity to learn about business in a particular country
- Try to combine professional and Non-business rational. If you have friends working in that company, don’t forget to mention them and what you’ve learned from their experience.
- You may use your other personal experiences like working with this McKinsey, it's deliverables or as it's client
- You can provide your personal experience of working with McKinsey Alums
Related BootCamp article(s)
Interviewer-Led vs Candidate-Led cases
Case Interviews can be led by the candidate or by the interviewer: In Candidate-led cases the main challenge is the structure. In Interviewer-led cases the main challenge is to adapt quickly
Tell me of a situation where you had an opinion and no one seemed to agree with you. What was your goal when you decided to join university / work / clubs / a sports team? Did you have a goal that you were not able to reach? What did you do? What do you want to be remembered for and how are you a ... Open whole case