Can anyone in the company (MBB), excluding HR, refer you, or does it need to be a consultant/principal/partner? Meaning people in internal departments, operations, etc. if they have high ranking positions.
Who can make the referral?
Does not agree with Guennael:
- At McKinsey Alumni cannot make a referral, however, they can ask their friends who still work in a company
- Partners have more weight, however, they will be too lazy to submit the referral and thus you can have an opposite effect - partners sending the resume to the HR and asking to check the person. The results may vary. In other words - you should know the partner really well
- It can be any consultant / researcher (not HR).
- The person should not necessarily be your coworker in the past. But he has to provide some details on why he thinks you are a good candidate
Anyone, yes - even alumni. Just remember they don't all have the same weight.
All else equal, the following have highest value:
1. More senior person, obviously. Holy Grail here is getting a Partner referral
2. Some who's worked WITH you
3. Someone who has a solid reputation inside the firm
I just confirmed, an alumni can indeed make a referral, even at McK - at least if he/she used to be in recruiting.
Can confirm for Bain as well, any current employee can make a referral, but of course it will carry more weight based on seniority and reputation, and to some extent just how well they know the recruiters.
An alumnus can definitely make a referral via email but I am not sure whether they would be able to make a referral through the Bain internal system.