Is there any way/trick to solve estimation math? I was reading the comments here that apply to 4 digits numbers, how about millions and billions?
Moltiplications/divisions with 6+ digits numbers, estimation math_Tricks
in general, the main issues with big numbers is forgetting zeros during operations. Potential tips to deal with big numbers are the following:
- Use correctly 10^ powers in your math computation. For example 3.2B/723M can be transformed in 3200*10^6/732*10^6, which makes it easier to deal with math
- Ask if it is fine to approximate. When you have to deal with math in market sizing, and sometimes even in business cases, you are allowed to approximate math to simplify the computation. In the previous example, for instance, you could transform the computation in 320*10^7/73*10^7, making the overall computation faster.
- Keep good notes. One of the reasons people do mistakes with big numbers is that they don't keep their notes in order, thus forget/misreport numbers
- Divide complex math in smaller logical steps. This is something you can use for big numbers after the application of the 10^ power mentioned above. If you have to compute (96*39)*10^6, you can divide the first element in 96*40 - 96*1 = 100*40 - 4*40 - 96*1 = 4000 – 160 – 100 + 4 = 3744*10^6
- Use shortcuts for fractions. You can learn by art fractions and thus speed up/simplify the computation - the most useful to know are 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/9.
Hope this helps,
I recommend using several tools:
- Rounding up and down
- Learn how to multiply double digit numbers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndkkPZYJHo)
- Learn the division table up to 1/11 (i.e. 5/6 = 83.3)
- Learn how to work with zeros using powers (e.g.: 4000000 = 4*10ˆ6) and sum up / subtract the powers separately
Use math tools - Preplounge, (Mimir math for iOS), Math tool on Viktor Cheng website to practice
Related BootCamp article(s)
Typical Question Types in Written Tests
Questions among all tests can be categorized in math, GMAT-style, chart reading and brain teaser questions. Each type needs to be approached differently.
Guide to Improving Speed in Written Tests such as the PST
Follow these instructions to significantly improve your performance and speed in solving problem solving tests used at McKinsey, BCG and Bain.
Which companies are currently using written tests ?
All major firms like McKinsey, BCG and Bain use tests to assess a candidate's analytical skills. However the design of those tests can differ a lot.
Your client, REA, is a reinsurance company. REA recently acquired another reinsurance company (approximatively same size): the choice of this company was notably based on its product portfolio as well as its market presence which appeared complement with REA. However, the acquisition is not well r ... Open whole case