MBB Invitation to Interview

MBB
New answer on Dec 10, 2022
8 Answers
265 Views
Anonymous A asked on Dec 09, 2022

Hey,

 

I just started working with a consulting firm (less than a month) and surprisingly received an invitation to interview with an MBB a few days ago. I would undoubtedly prefer the MBB even though the consulting firm I started with is a leading one (a direct competitor but non-MBB). Note that both offices are in the same region (in a European country).

 

1. Should I interview with the MBB or reject the invitation to interview and wait for 1-2 years before considering a move?

 

2. In case I proceed with the MBB interviews, should I inform the MBB that I just started working with another consulting firm? How will that reflect on my personality to the MBB? (i.e. even if I do not inform them they will most likely know that I got recruited somewhere else once I update my LinkedIn profile)

 

3. What will happen if I successfully receive an offer from the MBB but find out that I do not like the offer for whatever reason (e.g. the salary at the MBB will probably be considerably lower, possibly lower rank as well, etc. )? Will rejecting the offer affect my chances of receiving another invitation to interview with the MBB if I decide to apply again in a few years?

 

4. I believe arranging the interview timings will be difficult since I just started out in my current company and the hours are brutal. Are there any tips on how to deal with this issue?

 

Thanks

Overview of answers

Upvotes
  • Upvotes
  • Date ascending
  • Date descending
Best answer
Cristian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Dec 10, 2022
#1 McK Coach by rating & recommendation rate| Honest feedback: no sugar-coating | Success stories ➨ tinyurl.com/43rkxa8f

Hi there, 

Congrats on almost getting poached :)

1. Should I interview with the MBB or reject the invitation to interview and wait for 1-2 years before considering a move?

Go ahead with the interview. You only stand to win from it. If it works out, you can try to defer the offer by a few months and eventually start a year after you started with your current firm, so there will be no hard feelings in this case. If you fail, then at least you learn how an MBB interview works and can get better prepared if you want to do a lateral transfer in 1-2 years from now.

2. In case I proceed with the MBB interviews, should I inform the MBB that I just started working with another consulting firm? How will that reflect on my personality to the MBB? (i.e. even if I do not inform them they will most likely know that I got recruited somewhere else once I update my LinkedIn profile)

You don't need to inform them proactively that you have already started. Only if they ask or when you're meant to give a walkthrough your experience. Of course, don't hide it. Just be honest and tell them that you've always wanted to work for MBB so then you'd like to go ahead with the interview. 

People in the consulting industry are aware that candidates jump from one firm to the other, so don't worry that this will be perceived badly. 

3. What will happen if I successfully receive an offer from the MBB but find out that I do not like the offer for whatever reason (e.g. the salary at the MBB will probably be considerably lower, possibly lower rank as well, etc. )? Will rejecting the offer affect my chances of receiving another invitation to interview with the MBB if I decide to apply again in a few years?

No, it won't negatively affect your chances in coming years. Nobody keeps tabs on these things. And don't worry so much about the offer. Statistically speaking, it's likely better than the one you currently have :)

4. I believe arranging the interview timings will be difficult since I just started out in my current company and the hours are brutal. Are there any tips on how to deal with this issue?

Yes. Keep in close contact with the MBB recruiter and try to block a day in advance. Make them aware that you're currently working a consulting job and need to have visibility in advance. Then try to block that day by speaking with your manager and taking a vacation day, or ask for the interview to be at a time when you shouldn't be at the client (e.g., before 9am). Just find the option that will make you the least stressed out and thus able to focus fully on the interview.

A few tips also HERE on how to deal with being a fresh consultant. 

Hope you find this helpful!
 

Best,

Cristian

Was this answer helpful?
Hagen
Expert
replied on Dec 10, 2022
Bain Project Leader and interviewer for 7+ years | >95% success rate | mentor and coach for 6+ years

Hi there,

This is indeed an interesting question which is probably relevant for a lot of users, thus I am happy to provide my perspective on it:

  • It is ultimately up to you whether you decide to interview with the MBB or not. If you are interested in the opportunity, then it may be worth taking the interview and seeing how things go. However, if you are happy with your current job and do not want to risk damaging your relationship with your current employer, then you may want to decline the invitation and wait until you feel more ready to make a move.
  • If you decide to go ahead with the MBB interviews, it is generally a good idea to be transparent about your current employment situation. You can inform the MBB that you have recently started working with another consulting firm, and explain why you are interested in making a move. This will show that you are honest and upfront, and should not reflect negatively on your personality.
  • If you receive an offer from the MBB but decide that it is not right for you, then you can politely decline the offer and explain your reasons. Rejecting an offer will not necessarily affect your chances of receiving another invitation to interview with the MBB in the future, but it is always a good idea to handle the situation professionally and respectfully.
  • If you are having difficulty arranging interview times due to your current job commitments, then you can try to communicate openly and honestly with the MBB about your situation. It may also be helpful to speak with your current employer and see if they are able to accommodate your need for time off for interviews. Ultimately, the key is to be proactive and communicate openly with both your current employer and the MBB to try to find a solution that works for everyone.

In case you want a more detailed discussion on what to do in your specific situation, please feel free to contact me directly.

Best,

Hagen

Was this answer helpful?
Francesco
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Dec 10, 2022
#1 Coach for Sessions (4.000+) | 1.500+ 5-Star Reviews | Proven Success (➡ InterviewOffers.com) | Ex BCG | 9Y+ Coaching

Hi there,

Congratulations on getting an offer already. In terms of your questions:

1) Should I interview with the MBB or reject the invitation to interview and wait for 1-2 years before considering a move?

Both could work, it depends on your personal preference. There is nothing wrong with interviewing with them if you would like to join now.

2) In case I proceed with the MBB interviews, should I inform the MBB that I just started working with another consulting firm? How will that reflect on my personality to the MBB? (i.e. even if I do not inform them they will most likely know that I got recruited somewhere else once I update my LinkedIn profile)

No need to inform them if they don’t ask. If they ask you should say the truth (there is nothing wrong with the fact you are working for another firm and it will be probably perceived as positive – you could have not interviewed with them earlier anyway).

3) What will happen if I successfully receive an offer from the MBB but find out that I do not like the offer for whatever reason (e.g. the salary at the MBB will probably be considerably lower, possibly lower rank as well, etc. )? Will rejecting the offer affect my chances of receiving another invitation to interview with the MBB if I decide to apply again in a few years?

You can still apply in the future.

4) I believe arranging the interview timings will be difficult since I just started out in my current company and the hours are brutal. Are there any tips on how to deal with this issue?

The possible options are:

  • Take off one day for the interview, if possible ask to do multiple ones on the same day.
  • Ask for interview slots for which you are sure you won’t have issues. This is riskier as you may have last-minute requirements with your job.

Good luck!

Francesco

Was this answer helpful?
Ian
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Dec 09, 2022
MBB | 100% personal interview success rate (8/8) and 95% candidate success rate | Personalized interview prep

Hi there,

Congrats on both the offer and getting an MBB invite!

1. Should I interview with the MBB or reject the invitation to interview and wait for 1-2 years before considering a move?

If it were me, I would interview. What's the “cost” here? Of course, if you're at casing level 0, there's likely no point. However, it sounds like you know what a case is and can perform at a high level.

2. In case I proceed with the MBB interviews, should I inform the MBB that I just started working with another consulting firm? How will that reflect on my personality to the MBB? (i.e. even if I do not inform them they will most likely know that I got recruited somewhere else once I update my LinkedIn profile)

You don't really need to…if you accept the offer you just leave the other firm.

3. What will happen if I successfully receive an offer from the MBB but find out that I do not like the offer for whatever reason (e.g. the salary at the MBB will probably be considerably lower, possibly lower rank as well, etc. )? Will rejecting the offer affect my chances of receiving another invitation to interview with the MBB if I decide to apply again in a few years?

You simply say no. Be polite + respectful and suggest that perhaps in a few years there will be possibilities.

4. I believe arranging the interview timings will be difficult since I just started out in my current company and the hours are brutal. Are there any tips on how to deal with this issue?

“personal” leave, sick leave, doctor visit, etc. Block it out in advance and say it's a personal matter. See if MBB can be flexible with when they block time so that it does not disrupt your current role.

Was this answer helpful?
Rushabh
CoachingPlus Expert
Content Creator
replied on Dec 10, 2022
Immediately Available! | 50% off 1st Session | BCG Expert | #1 in Middle East | 80+ Mocks Delivered | Free 30 Min Intro!

Hello,

This is very subjective. Let me answer one by one:

1) It really depends on whether you are truly happy at your current job. If you are, then consider spending some time at the firm and reapply after a couple of years. If they invited you now, it's likely that they will invite you again. On the other hand, if you feel that your career could definitely use a jump at this moment, then go ahead and interview. 

2) You should certainly not lie to them. You can be open that you had taken up this opportunity since you did not hear back from them sooner but are happy to move soon as your current firm has not spent a lot of time investing in you yet.

3) Mate - the salary WILL be lower. So what? If you know that the salary is a dealbreaker, then why did you apply? You should make up your mind before you step into the interview. Do you want the MBB brand and exposure or not? If yes, only then go ahead for the interview. If not, then don't confuse yourself, the MBB and your current firm. It's unprofessional.

4) Take a couple of days off. Plan in advance.

All the best!

Rushabh

Was this answer helpful?
Sidi
Expert
updated an answer on Dec 09, 2022
McKinsey Senior EM & BCG Consultant | Interviewer at McK & BCG for 7 years | Coached 350+ candidates secure MBB offers

Hi!

1. Should I interview with the MBB or reject the invitation to interview and wait for 1-2 years before considering a move?

If you feel you are ready/have enough time to prepare - yes.

 

2. In case I proceed with the MBB interviews, should I inform the MBB that I just started working with another consulting firm? How will that reflect on my personality to the MBB? (i.e. even if I do not inform them they will most likely know that I got recruited somewhere else once I update my LinkedIn profile)

Don't mention it proactively - it won't be an issue. This is the professional world - not dating. ;)

 

3. What will happen if I successfully receive an offer from the MBB but find out that I do not like the offer for whatever reason (e.g. the salary at the MBB will probably be considerably lower, possibly lower rank as well, etc. )? Will rejecting the offer affect my chances of receiving another invitation to interview with the MBB if I decide to apply again in a few years?

No won't affect your future chances if you just politely let them know that you have decided for another opportunity. For example, I have rejected Bain offers twice, and it never had a negative effect for future invites. Why should it? Again - this is the professional world. :)

 

4. I believe arranging the interview timings will be difficult since I just started out in my current company and the hours are brutal. Are there any tips on how to deal with this issue?

Make a plan, and schedule your interviews wisely. It would not be very smart to schedule a date that is very close. So give yourself at least 10-12 weeks time, plan your preparation properly, and potentially get support by someone who has successfully helped hundreds of MBB candidates already.

Cheers, Sidi

(edited)

Was this answer helpful?
Dennis
Expert
replied on Dec 09, 2022
Seasoned project leader with 7+ years of consulting and recruiting experience in USA and Europe

I would take the interview and test the waters. Leaving for MBB will leave scorched earth at your current firm most likely, but you are also not yet heavily invested with just a few months there. Plus in direct comparison MBB would provide you with more opportunities. 

If you don't pass the interviews, you'll be blocked from re-applying for at least a year anyway so it doesn't make sense for you to not take the interview now, hoping to save the chance for 1-2 years from now.

Since you already accepted an offer with a consulting firm:

  • You presumably know how to prepare for case interviews and pass them
  • You agreed to the contract offered to you which is non-MBB (why would an MBB contract pay you less money or would otherwise be inferior to what you have now?)

Also, if your goal is to end up at MBB ultimately, then rejecting an offer you might receive from them now would not be a smart move at all. It sounds like you are in the very beginning of your consulting career. You barely have any sunk cost. So go for the experience, see what comes of it and then make a decision when you actually have to make a decision

 

Was this answer helpful?
Maikol
Expert
Content Creator
replied on Dec 09, 2022
BCG Project Leader | Former Bain, AlixPartner, and PE | INSEAD MBA | GMAT 780

You should definitely have interviews with MBB.
It is obvious that you have to inform MBB about the fact that you started working at a consulting firm (I would avoid saying that it is a competitor because it is quite likely factually a wrong statement).

Salary at MBB will quite likely be much higher, with the exception that MBB will probably send you back to the internship.
But this is immaterial since at MBB you will have much more career opportunities.

Scheduling interviews although you are working a lot will be easier than you think. 

Was this answer helpful?
Cristian gave the best answer

Cristian

Content Creator
#1 McK Coach by rating & recommendation rate| Honest feedback: no sugar-coating | Success stories ➨ tinyurl.com/43rkxa8f
269
Meetings
6,893
Q&A Upvotes
55
Awards
5.0
91 Reviews