First of all you need to ask clarifying questions that would help you clarify the problem.
Aims: What are the success criteria for improving the ecological impact? Any particular benchmark? Do we have any deadline?
Constraints: do we have any budgetary/ any other constraints that we need to take into account?
External factors: do we know any external factors that we need to take into account?
Now let’s choose a framework type for this case:
- conceptual/ business situation frameworks do not fit
- numerical frameworks could potentially fit, but I am not sure we could have the required depth here
- value chain/ process framework - perfectly fits
Here is how I would structure the problem:
1) Fire prevention (aim is prevent as many fires as possible)
- human related cases (regulations; education)
- nature ralated causes (drought - use predictive analytics tools, lightning strikes - build lightning rods)
2) Fire extinguishing (aim is to supply quick response and reduce the sq miles of fire as much as possible)
- fire detection (e.g. use satellites; aviation; ground patrol)
- fire localization (e.g. use mounds and other fire barriers)
- fire elimination (e.g. use of aviations and ground forces)
3) Elimination of the consequences of a fire (aim is to get rid of consequences from fires as much as possible)
- land related
- forest related
- animals related
The trick is to create a structure that would be MECE and deep. And then you can leverage brainstorming techniques to create solutions for all areas in this structure. I fulfilled a few examples.
Hope it helps!