I have my first round case interview with Deloitte next week for a workday consultant role. Anyone have any advice? Anything I should focus on for case studies. Anything that you think would be helpful is appreciated!
Deloitte consulting interview
Overview of answers
how was your interview?
You don't have so much time left, so I would focus on refining your frameworks and on preparing a good storytelling for the fit part. The latter is a crucial part of the interview and you have to be prepared to promote yourself and to answer the fit questions.
There are 2 crucial parts of interview with Deloitte consulting
- Case interview: prepare the overarching structures (business situation, profitabilty, Ansoff matrix, etc), structured communications, hypothesis driven problem solving, and issue trees
- PEI: prepare stories on your motivation, leadership and conflict management experiences
Hope it helps.
The usual, Deloitte´s process is pretty standard. Don´t forget FIT too, it´s equally important.
there are 2 aspects of the application process you have to focus on:
- Personal Experience Interview: fit and CV questions to assess your personal impact, leadership skills, and entrepreneurial spirit. You should prepare impactful stories about your experiences that cover these 3 main pillars.
- Case Interview: typical business case to evaluate your structure in approaching problems, problem-solving skills, and business sense. This is the most time-demanding aspect to work on. I recommend reading Cosentino's Case in point to fix the theory. Then, what will be really important is practicing mock cases with coaches/other candidates here on Preplounge.
Hope it helps,
in terms of the preparation, I would recommend the following:
- Define a calendar for your preparation. Identify how many hours you have before your expected interviews, then allocate a time slot for preparation in your calendar for each day, working on the following points.
- Read Case In Point or Case Interview Secrets for a general understanding of what a consulting interview is. Don’t focus on the structures proposed in the books though, as they are not good enough nowadays.
- Start reading good MBA Consulting Handbooks – you can find several for free online (Insead is a good one to start). Read the cases and try to apply your structure. Whenever you see there is something missing, upgrade your structure with the new insides. Try to read at least a new case per day – in this way you will absorb a lot better the information with constant learning. Structure your remaining daily preparation with at least 5-10 minutes per day for each of the following: market sizing, fit questions and mental math.
- After you have read the first 10 cases in books/handbooks and basic theory, start to practice live. There is a relevant part of the interview score that is based on your communication, which you cannot practice at all if you read cases only. Keep track of your mistakes and see if you repeat them. If so, try to identify the source of the mistake (feedback of experienced partners would be particularly useful for this). Be sure to focus on both fit and case.
- Once you feel you are not improving anymore, if you have a tight time constraint or if you want a realistic assessment of your level, consider using support from experts to strengthen your performance
- Before the interview, be sure to prepare your questions for the interviewer –great way to show you prepare in advance and to connect more with the interviewer for a good final impression.