BCG written case: a)are calculators allowed? b)do you write slides or make PPT? c)how much time for analysis?
Overview of answers
First please confirm all these with the company. You will have the most accurate answer.
You can expect to have 2 hours to read 40 pages document, Answer 2-3 questions and prepare your 2-3 slides. Then you can have 20 minutes for presentation and Q&A. Typically you should prepare your slides on paper and you are not allowed to use a calculator.
Feel free to reach if you have further questions or if you would like to practice written cases.
Format might be slightly different depending on location. In general:
- Are calculators allowed: yes
- Do you write slides or make PPT: write slides
- How much time for analysis: 2 hours (to read the material provided, digest it, make calculations, generate insights and prepare the slides)
Calculators are allowed and it's written slides. You have 2 hours.
I've uploaded some samples here:
(message me for a password)
The best way to prepare is the following:
- Prepare for a regular case interview - it helps a lot. Basically, prep lounge website is about it
- Practice making slides. Look for publically available MBB presentations for reference. Good books are "Pyramid Principle" and "How to make it with charts"
- Practice reading cases fast and prioritizing the information. I found useful two sources:
- Written cases you'll be able to find in google or in case books. I've seen a couple in "Vault Guide to the Case Interview" and "Insead Business Admission Test"
- Harvard cases - either buy or try to find online. You can find a couple of MIT cases here for free: https://mitsloan.mit.edu/LearningEdge/Pages/Case-Studies.aspx Unfortunately free cases don't have the prep questions.
The appropriate structure for BCG written case is:
Slide 1: Context, Objective, Recommendations
Slide 2-4: Analysis (Usually 1 slide with a table, 1 slide with graphs and 1 slide with pros and cons)
Slide 5: Next steps or risks & mitigation
I wwould confirm this with HR, is the best go-to.
Hope it helps!