1. When the consultants ask you to provide an example of leading others or working in teams, most probably they are looking for a leadership story
For those of you applying for junior positions, leadership does not necessarily mean being a supervisor. Organizing various stakeholders, being in charge of a study project, leading your team in a competition - all these examples will make a good story. Leadership is about finding an opportunity and managing people to achieve it.
Good leadership story should have a number of elements:
- Did you take additional responsibility (more than it was expected from you)
- Did the situation has a real problem?
- Did you have your own team of direct reports / a group of external stakeholders whose work you had to organize?
- Have you organized the process to structure and simplify the work of other people?
- Did you motivate others?
- Have you used the leadership tools that consultants usually use on their projects?
- How big was the impact?
2. When the interviewers ask you to provide an example of resolving a team- or personal conflict, Changing someone's mind, Developing and implementing a solution or overcoming difficulties - it means they want to hear a personal impact story.
Personal impact is a story of influencing people and persuading them to follow your solution.
3. When you have to provide an example of Overcoming challenges, Achieving a personal goal, Failing something, Creating new approaches or doing something innovative - these are the stories about your achievement and entrepreneurial drive
What can be a good achievement? First of all, the achievement should be important for you personally. It should prove that you set ambitious goals and achieve them, very often over and above than planned with innovative solutions